Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

Should I update My computer to window vista ??

Is it better than window xp ??

Favorite Answer

Vista is supposed to have more perks than XP. You can read all about it in the Jan. 2007 issue of PC World magazine. However, unless you're ready to have problems with your current software that may not be compatible with, you may wish to wait. According to PC World, your current virus protection software will not work with Vista. Remember when XP first came out? By the way, you can go to pcworld.com and read more about this.

Source(s): PC World magazine

It all depends. I attended a presentation of Vista by Microsoft a few weeks ago and I was playing with the release candidate a few months back. It is really "pretty" that is to say that the Aero GUI is really attractive and "iMac like," but it requires a very nice video card, one that my one-year old machine that came with 2.7GHZ CPU and 1GB of RAM didn't even come with. Even the $100.00 card you see at Wal-Mart will not do. That is really the only "cool" thing about Vista other than a few handy tools like searching in the start menu, widgets, and the media center (which only comes with the premium versions). I would wait. There is always bugs in the first release and they usually don't get worked out until several service packs later. Wait about a year, by then you will be able to get a PC that meets all of the specs that Vista requires for a fairly cheap price because that will become the standard, because by the time you sink $160.00 into the basic OS and $200.00 into the video card you might as well have bought a new system.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon until there's feedback from new users. Better to wait until some of the bugs are worked out of Vista's first release. Remember that for most Microsoft operating systems, tbe public has been the real "beta testers" when the new OS's hit the street.

Another thing to consider is the age of your current PC. Vista needs a fairly beefy machine to run well--if your specs aren't up to the job, do you really want to upgrade your old PC--or buy new, at this point in time?

I have a five-year-old Dell that should be replaced if I'm going to run Vista. I'm waiting until summer at least to start shopping.

(And I won't buy a Dell again--but that's another subject.)

In some cases Vista is better than Xp, but for you to run Vista well and smoothly, you need a good PC, I'm talking about ones that costs atleast £700.

This is because Vista takes lots of your RAM. RAM is one the most important componnent of the PC and it does cost quite a bit. If you have less than 512mb of RAM, dont bother with Vista, it would be super slow. The recommended is 1GB, and also, you will need a graphics card for Aero. Aero is like the interface, it is very graphical. It is this that takes up lots of RAM too.

Vista takes up approximately 12 GB of you hard drive, so if you want to updgrade make sure you have enough space.

Also, Vista costs quite a bit of money....

Yes you should because Windows Vista is more capable of doing better amount of work than Windows XP. Actualy,you should check out these websites to get more information in detail-

www.microsoft.ca

www.windowsvista.com

www.windows.com

No, Vista Sux rocks. I installed it, and it was disgusting. How could Microsoft sell such an unfinished piece of garbage AGAIN?? Wait a year until they iron out all the bugs, then try it on someone else's computer first. If you like it (and I doubt it), then consider upgrading your hardware to meet the installation requirements and installing Vista. Otherwise, stick with what you KNOW works.

Source(s): Experience. I tried it.

vista is a huge resource hog, as an IT professional i wouldn't install vista until hardware catches up to how much it requires. currently there is no software that utilizes the extra functionality of vista either so you'd be getting poor performance without the benefits.

if you want to spend money on vista.. $160 for the basic not advisable

the price range from $160 upgrade and you need a top spec system so check out the hardware spec before you buy

No, your computer is not strong enough. Only new computers should have Vista.