Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
What is the function of the blood-brain barrier?
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
The function of the blood brain barrier is to control the passage of substances from thr bloodstream into the central nervous system. Tiny cappilaries in the brain whose tightly packed cells keep most substances from getting through.Only fat soluable substances such as psychotropic drugs can pass through.Source(s): Wikipedia; My notes from ADS-R103 Pharmacology of Alcohol & Other Drugs Oxnard Collrge Addictive Disorders Studies
- mr.answermanLv 61 decade ago
The blood brain barrier is the blood supply to the brain formed in its own image. The reason is for the brain to maintain its own internal Millieu. It is formed by the capillaries surrounded by cells called astrocytes.
- 5 years ago
1) tight junction that restricted movement of substances between the endothelial
2) specific transport proteins that determine which substance can cross the barrier transcellularly
3) enzymes that may degrade or alter substances prior to passage