will former president Ford's death be recognized as a national holiday?

Favorite Answer

Not a national holiday but:

National Day of Mourning for President Gerald R. Ford

A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

As a further mark of respect to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, the thirty-eighth President of the United States, NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, and as an expression of public sorrow, do appoint Tuesday, January 2, 2007, as a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States. I call on the American people to assemble on that day in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President Ford. I invite the people of the world who share our grief to join us in this solemn observance.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty eighth day of December in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Not technically but 1/2/07 is a naional day of mourning for Ford. Most government offices will be closed including the post office.

However, Washington's birthday is celebrted as President's Day on the 3rd Monday in February to honor all presidents.

Not a national Holiday but government offices will be closed on Tuesday as part of a national day of mourning.

BTW - I've added the link in response the fellow YA participant who called everyone that said that government offices were closed an idiot.

All government offices will be closed Jan 2, 2007 in honor of President Ford.

Absolutely not. We only recognize two presidents...and that's their birthdays: Washington and Lincoln. Even at that. the federal government has combined the two into one called "President's Day"

Probably not. People would be saying things like "have a nice presidential holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas" and Bill O'Rielly would have a fit because of the war on Christmas.

You guys are all such idiots!!!

Why even attempt if you don't know the answer.

All govt offices are not closed!! The bond market is open because the dept of treasury is having its Regular Tuesday auction.

No, it will be a national day of mourning, not a holiday.

As much as I would love another paid day off at work, I would say no. There are other presidents who deserve that day more than useless Ford.

Heck no. Whenever a president dies, for about two weeks he becomes a saint. Everybody forgets how they called him stupid, clumsy, dumb, etc. Then they just drop him. Look at Truman (for example)