3 tsp. Baking Powder

1 cup Water

Version #2

3 cups Flour

1 tsp. Salt

1 tbs. Baking Powder

1 1/2 cup water

1 tbs. Shortening (cut in)

Using the ingredients from either version above, mix ingredients and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

Break off a ball of dough about golf ball size and pat out no thicker than 1/4 inch. (In some tribal traditions a hole is always made in the center which has spiritual significance)

Fry in deep hot oil to a light golden brown, turn once to brown both sides. (Oil is hot enough if a small test piece of dough dropped in the oil begins cooking almost immediately and rises to the top.) Drain bread well and pat with paper towel to remove excess oil. Keep covered in a bowl while cooking to keep bread warm.

Serving - Usually eaten like bread with soup, stew or posole

Variations - Eat with honey, powdered sugar, cinnamon.

More recipes on the website.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Hre is some information for you, from Answers.com, on the subject of the Navajo's diet :

The Athabascan-speaking people, Apaches and Navajos, compose the other major southwestern group. Unlike the Pueblos they originally were a hunting and gathering people who supplemented their food supply through horticulture.

The Navajos, their close relatives, lived in a similar fashion until they acquired horses and sheep in the same period. Adopting a more sedentary mode of life, the Navajos developed transhumant economic patterns: they followed their flocks and herds into the uplands during the summer and removed them to protected valleys during the winter. They erected hexagonal, dirt-covered hogans as residences and began to plant larger fields of beans and corn and small orchards of peach trees. After migrating westward into the canyon and mesa lands of northeastern Arizona, the Navajos grazed their animals on lands radiating out from Canyon de Chelly, a long, Y-shaped, steep-sided canyon near the modern Arizona-New Mexico border. Prospering in their new environment, the Navajos became successful herdsmen, harvesting wool to be woven into cloth.

Hope this information is what you were looking for.

Good luck

John B.

Source(s): Answers.com : "indians"-- (Navajos).
  • JILL
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

you're getting me hungry stop!!!

come to our reservation, and you'll find it EVERYWHERE. I'm a Navajo, from New MexicoAbout the opening in the middle of the frybread, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING! The only reason why I think it's there, is because that's where my grandma stabs it when she takes it out of the frying pan!

Also, there are many ways to make frybread, not just one way. You can add powdered milk to make it fluffy.

Size doesn't matter, but i prefer my grandma's small fluffy ones rather than than large crnchy ones. AAAGH!!! Never mind, they're all DELICIOUS!!!!

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, it's just that the thought of frybread drives me nuts.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In their kitchens and dining rooms.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.