What will happen if I drive without insurance for few days?

I live in New Jersey, my county is Hudson county.

I just bought my car yesterday afternoon my insurance company was closed. I could not call them to add the car on insurance and start driving with my other car insurance.

What will happen if I drive with my other car insurance in my new car for a few days?

What if cops stop me?

Will I get a ticket or something else?

Favorite Answer

Hello

You will probably be looking over your shoulder all of the time and that will be dangerous :)

Kind regards

Good Luck

Source(s): My kind of understanding

Some insurance companies will cover you on new cars for 3 days. Carry the insurance card with you in case you get pulled over. Even though tomorrow is a holiday you need to call and check if they will cover you. If not don't take the risk of driving without insurance.

• ?

I would recommend one to try this website where onel can compare rates from different companies: http://COVERAGEQUOTES.NET/index.html?src=3YAenlUnt...

RE :What will happen if I drive without insurance for few days?

What if cops stop me?

Will I get a ticket or something else?

Follow 34 answers

Source(s): I would recommend one to try this website where onel can compare rates from different companies: http://COVERAGEQUOTES.NET/index.html?src=3YAenlUnt...

usually, the grace period is a couple of days or until u get ur insurance card showing that insurance is in effect for this car. even if u do wind up meeting 1 of those 'insurance checkpoints', the dealer should have given u papers showing that u havent had this car for very long. as long as u have insurance in effect for the other car, ur still covered on that policy, and u are still legal temporarily.

as soon as the insurance company opens after the holidays, have them add the new car to the policy.

unless ur actin like an idiot, the cops wont stop u without a reason.

insurance companies normally will cover your vehicle for up to ten days if you purchase one without it being put on the policy. a few days won't matter, but make sure you get it on your policy as soon as possible. if you are stopped, you may or may not be able to avoid a ticket, but it can be beaten in court since you couldn't get it insured when you prurchased it since the insurer was closed. a copy of your insurance on another vehicle will usually keep you from getting a ticket, but not always.some cops are just *** holes.

Well maybe nothing will happen but if you have an accident you are fu***d. And a cop could give you a ticket. I wouldn't drive it out of my driveway until I had insurance. Too much risk. Also your old insurance only covers your old car unless you have the kind of insurance that allows you to drive any car. Good Luck and Happy New Year!!

You will get a ticket if you get pulled over, since your new car is not actually covered by your insurance yet. Since you are the insured person though, you should be able to switch your cars on the insurance, then take the proof of insurance to court and get it cleared. At least that is how my mom did it where I live. In Alabama, the ticket would be about 300 dollars. If you have a company like Progressive or Geico or one of those huge companies, the have 1-800 numbers and are available 24/7.

You should be able to get a temp waiver from a web insurance company.

Possibilities:

* ticket for no insurance on the vehicle

* accident then insurance denies coverage -- huge.

Remember poor old Murphy.

I dont know what the law is there but usually they give you a few days to get insurance. Just drive very carefully.

Nothing will happen if you aren't in an accident or pulled over. If you're pulled over, a HEAVY fine will be levied. This varies by state. If you are in an accident, you will be left with the out-of-pocket burdon of repairing either one or both of vehicles, and any medical expenses incurred as a result. Things like this happen sometimes, and the risk is up to you, but be aware that you are taking a big gamble.

You CAN use your existing car insurance for the new car. It also depends on certain cops. They can still write you up for no insurance, but you can always go to traffic court and explain your situation, the only thing is it takes a lot of your time. The best thing to do is not to drive your new car for a few days.