Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysOther - Holidays · 1 decade ago

Why do people feel the need to party and get drunk just because it's New Year's Eve?

I used to spend a lot of money every New Year's eve to go out and party, and make noise at midnight and kiss the one you're with. Now, I'm wondering what was I thinking? New Year's eve parties are the dumbest, most senseless party I can think of. People spending hundreds of dollars for dinner and some stupid noisemakers. It's great for the banquet halls and restaurants, but does any one else find them a little ridiculous?

• Lynn K
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they are ridiculous. Restaurants and bars charge a fortune for everyday menu items just because it's New Years Eve. It's a massive rip off. But then so are all the holidays. Consumers are being gouged to the absolute limit but until people wake up and realize it, these kinds of things will continue.

you must be getting old. Who said that you have to spend allot of money? You did it to show off to the the girl/boy friend at the time. I'm married with two children and we are going to a new years eve party at our church there no one gets drunk, but we do make allot of noise. There entertainment for the whole family. We all prayer that the new year will be better then the year before. Even you too want that for yourself.

• Holly

I don't know but I think it's stupid. But honestly I never get drunk, no matter what day it is. Today I'm tired cause I worked all day, and my boyfriend's at work now. We aren't on the best terms. I don't feel like partying. Sorry. I've never been good at partying just cause I'm supposed to on some certain day. I can do it when I feel like it, and that's that.

Yes they are.

Especially in smaller cities it is.

But in cities like New York, for example, it's like a rock concert, and you should enjoy it as such. Few times do people gather up like that. Well, actually only once a year.

No worries. You can participate or not. The world goes on anyway.

Have a good year.

I think it's a long left over religious urge. Everyone freaking subconciously over "the world is ending!", so we want to do anything we didn't do throughout the year in one day. Drinking, partying, trying to cram in all the fun we were too stiff to have into one measly night. Of course, when you think about it, every day is a new year...

It's a new year to try new things! Now get out there and boogie till dawn!!!!

Because people will take any excuse they can get to drink till they puke.

Dunno, it's just something they do. I'm sitting here sober too.

your boring.