promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

1984 evinrude 25 hp outboard motor?

when motor is running, no water comes out the pee hole like it should, I beleive I need to replace the impellar, whats involved

I also heard theirs a temprature sending unit that opens for water flow, is that something to change at the same time as the impellar

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like your water pump is shot. The water pump (on the older styles anyway) are down in the tail shaft. Need to remove 4 to 6 bolts and pull the bottom half off. There should be a rod inside the shaft that the water pump works with. Make sure it is put back together the right way or it wont pump out like it should. The water pump should like a small rubber impeller as you put it. If the water isn't coming out where it is suppose to then it will keep the engine to warm. I was always told the colder the water is the better off the boat motor will run.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

To change the impeller you first open the inspection panel on the side of the "leg" of the motor. Loosen the shifting linkage bolt (this disconnects the shifting shaft in the middle, allowing one end to go with the lower unit and one end to stay with the engine). Now remove the 4 bolts around the lower unit (the part with the propeller on it), and remove pull it straight down until separated from the leg and engine parts. the water tube may come out with the lower unit. There are 4 screws holding the water pump cover on, remove these. the impeller will be exposed and ready to slide off up the drive shaft. You should clean the shaft before sliding the water pump top off to preserve the pump shaft seal. Reverse the steps to reassemble, making sure that the impeller key is in place before replacing the water pump cover.

The thermostat (same as in a car) is on the top front of the engine. A simple 3 bolt removal to replace. It will need a new gasket, usually supplied with the new thermostat.

Source(s): I owned a 1975 Johnson 25HP for many years.
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

pay evinrude 99 hp outboard motor

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

first thing to check is to see if a bug has made a nest in the rubber tube that goes from the block to the telltale. if not, then do all that other stuff.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.