Why or how would a motherboard fry?

We took it to get checked out, and they said the motherboard was fried, but we forgot to ask why or how. Can anyone help? Feel free to ask if you need any additional info.

Update:

It was a desktop, and we would press the on button, and it would start to tick like a bomb, and everything would start flashing. The fan was working, but it just wouldn't come on. Thanks for your help :)

Update 2:

It was only two years old :-/

and we took it to those computer people at two different Best Buys, to make sure we would get the same answer.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm going to assume that your system was working fine one day and then the next day you turned it on and all of a sudden it started beeping. if this is the case your motherboard is not fried. a fried motherboard that fries does not beep. when you die you can't talk. understand? your motherboard is talking to you. the beeps are post test beeps telling you that something in your system is fried or not working. this is something that would take me many lines to explain how to find the problem, so my best advice is forget taking your system to a bunch of GEEKS at best buy. these little idiots only know how to exchange parts. if your system is a couple of years old they will try to get you to buy another one, that's business. find you a computer repair shop that works on all types of systems they will be more willing to help with your problem, just a suggestion you could tell the tech, you could have a memory, video card, or hard drive problem causing the beeps, or as mentioned in previous answers, you could have a large buildup of dust in the system causing a short. this does mean if you continue to turn the system on and off it could cause it to fry, (short the board out). I would not tell them that you have already had someone tell you that the motherboard is fried. hope this is helpful.

been in the business since '85 seen it all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the board can fry if the board is old, or if the powersupply failed to prevent a power surge from burning out the board. in the case of the motherboard being fried this would normally apply eaually to the addon boards as well and also the CPU would have damage.

what exactly was the nature of the problem?

what happened to the system?

did the computer get wet or damp at any time (may be a dog or cat peed on the system (it has been known to happen))

there are so many reasons as to why the board could appear dead when it is perfectly ok.

a dodgy repair shop would most likely tell you the board was dead in order to sell you a new board with a new processor and new RAM. a nice little earner for the unscrupulose.

good luck and happy new year.

• 1 decade ago

Not literally fried. But it received a jolt of electricity via the power supply or any pci card (especially the modem or ethernet card) will short out some part of the mobo and it will be called fried. I have just removed the modem card before and found out it was it that was causing the mobo not to function right or not at all. I would not give up on it too soon. Try taking out the cards and play the quessing game. Usually shops don't do this because they are interested in you purchasing a new computer. Might even want to try a new Power Supply if its not doing anything at all no fans or beeps of anykind chances are its your mobo has went kaput...Thanks and Good luck

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

merely because the motherboard went south does not mean it took the processor alongside with it. the really thanks to ascertain is to have the processor taken out and placed right into a strong board and then see if it extremely works. the possibilities are extreme that it truly is in all likelihood ruined too, and probably the memory and the video card besides. something right now connected to the motherboard as in a slot as an celebration, in all likelihood both is lifeless or is broken to the point the position it finally will fail. What i'm completely at a loss at is why human beings received't spend $25 - $35 to purchase a strong surge protector so as that their thousands of greenbacks of funding in a computing gadget has some protection. possessing a computing gadget is like possessing a vehicle, issues can take position...and it truly is the reason we desire slightly of of insurance protection. evaluate an workplace-grade surge protector to be like an insurance coverage...this is going to pay for itself even as issues take position. you should make investments in a strong surge protector with the optimal Joules score you will get. do not purchase a cheap $5 or $10 one. the strong organization type ones fee $25 +. and also you may want to get a strong one in like workplace Depot or Staples. preserve your funding!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It usually relates to some kind of power problem: voltage spikes, a bad power supply, shorts in the system, improper ventilation. And, people may actually refer to "frying" as simply "going bad".

Electrical components in computers are very sensitive and require a continuous flow of electricity to work properly. Voltage sags and spikes can cause components to overheat or short out. Regulating voltage to your computer, or to electrical devices in general, is important. I would recommend purchasing a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) that provides line conditioning to protect your equipment and to keep anything else from "frying".

• 1 decade ago

Wow, Veronica, surprised you didn't ask that computer expert girl from high school! ;-) What were you doing when the computer stopped working? Is it laptop or desktop/tower? What happens now when you try to use it? Did the repair place mention the status of the hard disk, if they tested it?

• 1 decade ago

Happened to me. Too much dust built up inside the case (it sits on a carpeted floor) and not enough cooling. The processor chip just plain got too hot.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • .PANiC
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You could've had a power surge, or just not enough cooling. Make sure to have a fan on your case, one on your processor, and maybe if you have room another one on your case.

• 1 decade ago

You need to be a little more specific... What caused you to take your PC in in the first place? What was it doing? do you remember any error messages? be as descriptive as you can so we can help you better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.