Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 decade ago

Now my Nephew (6 years old) has other issues as well..And advice?

My 6 year old nephew is staying with us for several weeks around the holiday. Well the other issue we noticed going on is he is constantly picking his nose and eating the boogers...I am NOT kdding..Me and my wife have witness him doing this? He also was sitting in a seat near our computer and several times he will just sit there and poop his pants without getting up to use the restroom. WHY is he doing this? Is he acting out in some way?

I meant to say "Any advice" it was a typo error...

He has turned into the "Nephew from hell" Maybe this kid needs an exorcism! LOL...He has other issues going on as well..

Favorite Answer

Yeah, it is called regression. Not sure why he is doing it but I do feel bad for you! I suggest reverse psychology if talking to him straight does not work for you. It worked (bathroom wise) for my niece! The nose thing, tell him that he will get worms if he keeps doing it and big boys blow their noses with tissue. Then say, but you don't want to be a big boy right? Yeah I will keep these cause I am. Kids love to be like grownups. Then praise him when he does the correct thing. Good luck!

My first question is ...... does he do this at home?

My second question is..... is he staying with you alone or are his parents there too?

The nose picking is very common in most youngsters and they will grow out of it. To stop my son, I painted a special clear nail varnish on his nose picking fingers while he was asleep. The varnish is meant for people who want to stop biting their nails and it tastse very bitter. The day after I did it, my son stuck his finger up his nose and then went to eat the treasure. The look on his face was a picture and it took a couple of attempts, but eventually the thought of tasting the varnish was too much and he at least stopped eating the boogers!!

The pooping issue is a little disturbing however. It sounds like he is showing off about something but it needs to be nipped in the bud and quick smart!!. When he does this, what do you do? Do you make him change or sit in it?

Try sitting him down and ask him why he won't use the bathroom like other boys his age. He is 6 and should know the difference between right and wrong and if he doesn't he is certainly old enough to learn. I wouldn't sound off at him, but act very disappointed and remove him from the place where he pooped and sit him in his room for 6 minutes to think about his behaviour. If you have promised him a day out, tell him he can't go because he soiled his clothes and you don't have any clean ones for him to wear. Make sure he knows where the bathroom is and show him how to flush your chain. It may sound funny, but my son wouldn't use the toilet in other peoples homes because he was scared of the toilet itself. Once I showed him that they are all the same and work the same he was happier. Make sure he can reach the toilet and unroll the paper etc.

Sometimes a child will do these things as a way of getting attention. He will get it, but he will have to get it in a different way to what he was expecting. By all means punish him by removing toys or cancel a day out, but don't make a huge deal of it. By making it a big deal, he has got all of your attention and he has won!!

Good luck.

There could be a medical problem as far as the pooping goes. If he is constipated, he might leak (this is gross) a liquid from his bowels that is sneaking past the hard mass in his bowels. You need to inventory what he is eating. Besides the boogers... Also, this is a different place for him then where he is used to going at, so this might contribute to his constipation. I suggest taking him out for exercise to get those bowels moving. I think the booger picking needs to be radically addressed. Its ok to embarrass him on this one, but not about the pooping. The pooping might be a real medical condition. If the constipation continues, seek medical attention.

Oh my goodness! What a handful you have for a few weeks! I guess there is nothing you can do about it personally. I would talk to his parents. Did you know that he still had accidents? If not, the parents should have told you. About his picking his nose, I would hand him a tissue and tell him to use it. Im not sure what you can do about having accidents in his pants. He is way too old to be doing that, and should know better! Is he mad that his parents left him with you?

• Rachel

picking the nose...very normal. Every time he does it make him go wash his hands with soap, he will soon get so sick of doing this he will stop. As for pooing pants, I would ring his parent and find out if he normally does this and then take him to a doctor. Most 6 year olds would be very embarrassed to do this.

I don't have any advice for you but I can tell you he's not alone. My 8 yr old son has a class mate at school and he poops and pees his pants at school in front of everyone. He also picks his nose. I know he has issues going on at home but I don't know the nature of them...........

THATS GROSS. THE BOOGER EATING PART, just be glad its not your kid!

Blame his parents they are obvioulsy lousy parents, my kid is 2 and has started the nose picking thing but I am going to put a stop to it, I dont want my son to be picked on at school youknow.

maybe you should sit down ask him if anythimg is wrong and if he says "no" then say that eating boogers could give him a bad disease and that pooping in his pants without a diaper could give him a butt rash and butt rashes hurt like the dickens!

If children are not taught acceptable behaviour, how will they know. He probably thinks it's OK to do that because adults like you to stupid to hold him accountable not to do it. Unless some true mental illness is at hand.

holy crap..maybe u shouldent have spanked him THIS could be revenge u dumbass...why dont u go and smoke another cigg. or something and stop whineing about ur nephew.... ugh....