Funny or cruel?

I was playing air hockey with this 7 year old and after a long hard game I won and I screamed "ooooh!!! YOU SUCK!!!" and i pointed my finger in his face while screaming that... and he fell to the ground and he was laughing and i was laughing too but he kept saying, "man, you are crazy." to me and i was just kidding when screaming that he sucked!! I was being competative funny, you know? and so ya... is that cruel to yell at a 7 year old saying he sucks or is it funny?

Favorite Answer

Probably shouldn't have said it. But if you were just kidding and he knew it and thought it was funny too, then i guess its FUNNY!!!

I don't know how old you are, but kids even at 6 or 7 years old will hide hurt feelings with laughter just so other kids don't know their true feelings. You probably skated by this time, but if this kid looks up to you in any way, you should let him know you were kidding. He's not mature enough to figure that one out on his own. Also, maybe let him know that his playing didn't "suck"--better yet, don't use the word "suck" at all with younger kids. It really is a facsimile of a worse word...and I don't need to say what that is. Bottom line, be a good role model for all kids, and earn their respect just by being friendly and easy to lose to. Your winning should be based on how well you played the game, not how badly he played :)

I have a 6 year old child. I think that since he was laughing it was ok, he took it as a joke. Next time you might punctuate it with a "it's not really nice to say that to people" or tell him he did awesome so he knows that it's ok to joke sometimes but you want to make sure you didn't hurt the kid or that they won't hurt someone else later. Kids do take things to heart when you don't know it. You don't want the kid to be a jerk. Jerks suck.

I dont think its immature for one.

I agree with the other answerer, it depends on the individual. According to what you're saying, he didn't seem to be offended, so I think it was okay. If he cried, then that would have been unintentionally harsh.

Just be sure to know the sensitivity level of people before teasing them. 7 year old boys should be THAT sensitive when it comes to competitive sports anyways. At 7, he needs learn that the phrase "you suck" comes with the territory anyways!

Yea that was kind of cruel he probobly laughed to keep from crying remember he was only 7.

For being 7, he took it well so its funny.

It was probably funny the first time you said it, but if you didn't mean it, then it wasn't funny after that

• Olive

well I understand and think its funny..But a 7 year old might not

it depends on the 7 year old, one will think its funny and another will not.

that's mean you should be mature and be the bigger person not act like a 7 year old to you to grown for that