Why did my car stall on me?

I was driving around yesterday, and my car stalled on me while I was stopped at an intersection. As it stalled, my battery and my oil lights came on. Yet I just had the battery replaced this past August, and I checked the oil...it's not anywhere close to being low! And I just had it changed a month ago. Then when I restarted my car, it seemed fine. I went ahead and had the car towed to a mechanic just to play it safe. But they're not going to be able to get to it until Tuesday. I'm just hoping to get a "preview" of what could possibly be wrong. By the way, it's a 97 Chevy Cavalier.

Favorite Answer

The battery and oil lamps illuminate with the key on and engine off so they are not indicative of any problems there, as you know. When GM cars stall and then restart the cause is usually the ignition module; I suspect the problem will not recur for the mechanic on Tuesday and he may suggest replacing the module.

This, of course, is just a guess based upon experience. Of course there could be a different ignition problem or fuel problem which will be diagnosed if the car stalls for the mechanic.