Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

which year was better for Opus One wine 2002 or 2003?

My dad wants a bottle to give as a gift and that's all the store has.

Favorite Answer

Neither vintage of Opus One received a stellar score from Wine Spectator's James Laube.

He gave the 2002 86 points out of 100, expressing concerns that the wine lacked enough fruit to allow the wine to age long enough for the tannins to soften.

He gave the 2003 87 points and also is not crazy about this one. He expresses hope that it will improve with age. He estimates maturity at 2008-2013.

Keep in mind that this is just the opinion of one reviewer, tasting the wine at a certain time in the wine's development. Many wines may change for the better or worse with bottle age.

Source(s): Wine Spectator Online

Check the vintage charts for the region, I think there is little difference between those years. Unless the recipient has a proper wine cellar to age such a big red I would search out a riper wine

.http://www.wineontheweb.com/vintage/vintage.html

my absolute favorite. really. dad could give me either and i would be a happy woman.