Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Have all cultures used hours to measure time?

It seems like every culture today uses hours, minutes, and seconds, but did they start out that way? How did the use of hours, minutes, and seconds evolve?

Favorite Answer

well the mesopotamians developed a system of numers based around 6 (60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour) and i guess it kind of evolved from there.

Yes, the bright chump above me is correct. And the reason for that was the 12 main gods of the Sumerian civilization. There is a great number of ways where the use of 6/12/24 is evident which was inherited from the Sumerians (60 sec/min, 12x2 hours, 12 months, 12 signs of the zodiac etc.

Do note that the Sumerians existed around 5000 years ago. Only a few cultures did not use the familiar concept of time measurement... one I can recall are the Maya.

I think that's right