Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Have all cultures used hours to measure time?

It seems like every culture today uses hours, minutes, and seconds, but did they start out that way? How did the use of hours, minutes, and seconds evolve?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

well the mesopotamians developed a system of numers based around 6 (60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour) and i guess it kind of evolved from there.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, the bright chump above me is correct. And the reason for that was the 12 main gods of the Sumerian civilization. There is a great number of ways where the use of 6/12/24 is evident which was inherited from the Sumerians (60 sec/min, 12x2 hours, 12 months, 12 signs of the zodiac etc.

Do note that the Sumerians existed around 5000 years ago. Only a few cultures did not use the familiar concept of time measurement... one I can recall are the Maya.

• 1 decade ago

I think that's right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.