Anyone had a tubal ligation and later had eggs harvested for in vitro?

Early stages of menopause but wish to have eggs harvested and re-implanted after in vitro fertilization. Any first hand knowledge?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The process is very similar to normal IVF in a patient using oocyte retrieval (assuming your periods are irregular now or have stopped). You'll get a shot of human chorionic gonadotropin (β-hCG). This agent would cause ovulation about 36 hours after injection, but a retrieval procedure takes place just prior to that in order to recover the egg cells from the ovary. The eggs are retrieved using a transvaginal technique involving an ultrasound-guided needle piercing the vaginal wall to reach the ovaries. The retrieval procedure takes about 20 minutes and is usually done under conscious sedation or general anaesthesia.

    The sperm and the egg are incubated together for about 18 hours. The fertilized egg is passed to a special growth medium and left for about 48 hours until the egg has reached the 6-8 cell stage. Laboratories have developed grading methods to judge oocyte and embryo quality. Typically, embryos that have reached the 6-8 cell stage are transferred three days after retrieval.

    The embryos judged to be the "best" are transferred to the uterus through a thin, plastic catheter, which goes through the vagina and cervix. Often, several embryos are passed into the uterus to improve chances of implantation and pregnancy. You may have to wait two weeks before returning to the clinic for the pregnancy test depending on your doctor. During this time you may receive progesteron, a hormone that keeps the uterus lining thickened and suitable for implantation.

    Hope this helps! =)

  • 4 years ago

    because you're saying that's the physician that's requiring this permission and under no circumstances enforced through regulation i'd enable the regular public recognize that this actual physician calls for permission from a husband for a tubal ligation. placed the rigidity on him and perchance he will replace his procedures. the full permission problem is previous and ridiculous. What takes position with this physician for unmarried females, does he require a permission slip from a boyfriend, unclear. This physician is discriminating hostile to you and different females because of marital status. He should be stopped. i'd replace medical doctors and record him to the disciplinary board.

  • 1 decade ago

    No... but you should go to and check out the Forums! They are a lifesaver and its amazing how many women share your problems. It's great support!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.