is spina bifida inharrited?

Favorite Answer

What causes spina bifida?

The causes of spina bifida are not completely understood. Scientists believe that both genetic and environmental factors act together to cause this and other NTDs. However, 95 percent of babies with spina bifida and other NTDs are born to parents with no family history of these disorders (2).

I hope this helps you some. All the sites that I looked at basically says the same thing.

There is research being done on the possibility that the mother doesn't metabolize folic acid the way other mothers do. Also a higher chance if a baby is born to someone with SB or to a couple that has previously had a child with SB. There is also higher occurrence among certain groups of people, such the people of the celtic isles. I have Welsh and Irish ancestors, and my husband has Irish and Scottish. We're expecting a baby boy and have been reading a lot about SB since we found out. There's a lot of information out there, and some conflicts with each other, there is still a lot that doctors and researchers don't know about Spina Bifida.

Hi I have a cousin with spina bifida, and when he was born we got told that it does run in the family.

Just eat lots of folate (lettuce, cereals,e.g) before conception and during pregnancy. Most cereals have the Recommended Dietary Intake (RDI) of folate on the box, e.g each serve has 50% RDI. It can also be found in a lot of Juices, just read the Nutrition labels. But lettuce is the best source of Folate.

Its been proven that folate can help prevent Spina Bifida.

Hope I helped, its something I worry about too when the time comes for me to have a baby, because I seen first hand from my Aunt and Uncle how hard it is to look after a child with Spina Bifida.