promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

can i put my girlfriend belongings out of my apartment?

can i put my old girlfriend belongings out?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Only if you want to get sued or arrested.

Every state has what is called an "abandoned property" statute. Follow the notification procedure in the statue for your state to the letter, and only dispose of the belongings after you have followed the procedure and the time limit has expired.

I'm a paralegal in a real estate & landlord/tenant firm, and every month we get someone who has had their belongings tossed out by an ex boyfriend, girlfriend, roommate, landlord, etc who didn't follow the procedure outlined by law, and we win their case for them. The least we ever got for someone was about $4,000 and the most we ever got for someone was over $50,000.

The people who are telling to you just "toss it out" aren't going to be paying your wage garnishment after your ex gets a judgment against you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • JC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Dont do it.

Go through the right procedures, like phoning her and leaving messages, even sending her a registered mail letter giving her a time and date to pick up her things. Call her parents and inform them of the time if you have to. Document when you call her to inform her and what was said. Anything to show that you are giving her every chance possible. After that, then donate her sh*t. But if you just toss it out into the street, she can sue you and paying her anything, even $20 will be painful.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, if her name is not on the lease.

However, the best way might be to do the honorable, noble and mature thing and have her come over and pick them up at the door... when you're there.

It's ok to show an act of kindness no matter what someone has done to you.

Your friends and family will be amazed by your good character and the future lady in your life will really love you for it.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

relies upon on various issues, Legaly you may want to desire to inform her that if she did not %. them up by such and the kind of date they could be disposed of. Do the notification in writing to cover your self. maximum states require you to furnish the guy 30 days to retrieve there property reckoning on the challenge. If she has not picked them up by this time then you truthfully can get rid of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Physically you can probably do it... even legally. But a word of warning... remember the adage about a woman scorned... it's very true. It may not have been worth it after the hell you'll have to pay.

Then again, I don't know your woman. She may run off crying. Shame on you!

• 1 decade ago

If she is not on the lease, then go ahead.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.