Cannot replace fanbelt on '97 Nissan Sentra?

Is there an adjustment on the fanbelt idler pulley to allow tightening and loosening belt?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Both belts have tensioners power steering adjuster at the holding bolt on top and the AC belt tensioner is 8 mm hex and is located just above the ac compressior pointing foward toward the radatior. Loosen the 14 mm nut inside the A/C belt tensioner pulley first loosen the 8mm bolt to slacken the belt. Power Steering is 12mm holding bolt loosen from inside and 12mm adjuster bolt loosen it too. I push the P/S pump with a large screwdriver foward it will be stiff.

Source(s): Nissan Master Technician

I had a 97 Sentra! Great car until you have to change the belts or water pump! It has a idler pulley with a lock type adjustment thing on it. You will have to loosen the pulley and undo the tension on the pulley to move the belt in or out. There is very little room. My adjustment broke, so I used a pry bar to get the belt tight and then just tightened to hold the pulley down in place.

It is usually spring tensioned. Put a wrench on it to hold tension off the belt as you remove it and put the new one on.