Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

npsems asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

What is the life expectancy of a cat in human years?

I have a long hair tabby, 8 years old.

mostly indoor cat.

Favorite Answer

Indoor domesticated cats can live up to 15-20 years depending on a number of factors:

The following are just some considerations when caring for your cat so your puurfect friend can get the most out of life!

The cats diet is a consideration. Feeding the cat human food can cause or help lead the cat to health problems later in life so a proper dietary supplement such as Iams adult hard food is a consideration. Also milk is hard on a cat's stomach so you want to ensure proper hydration such as water is available only

As your cat is eight years old you may want to take your tabby to the veterinarian twice a year or as problems appear going down the road.

Never feed the cat chocolate as this is considered posion to cats

Provide your cat with treats every so often as most of the goodies contain essential amino acids and vitamins your cat needs on a day to day basis

A glossy coat is always a good sign your cat is healthy. Dry and red looking skin can mean many things but often more than not it is an indication your cat is not getting the essential nutirents from food due to health related issues

I hope your cat has a prosperous new year and is healthy, safe, and lives many years to come. All the best to you and your fuzzy friend in the new year!

Both our cats were 17-1/2 yrs old when they died, but for a cat to live over 20 is pretty extraordinary most cats live 15 years maximum.

I have a tabby who is now ten. And I had a siamese who lived to be 20. It all depends on how well they are taken care of. These are both indoor cats.

Source(s): personal experience, I am a cat person.
  • Melisa

Usually 10-15 years.

My sweet little Gracie Lou was 16&1/2 when I had the Vet give her the shot to put her to sleep. Many cats live up to the age of 20 or more if keept inside and taken care of.They need reg. Vet care and shots.

Most indoor cats can live up to twenty years old.

• Iris

14-15 is a pretty good average. 20 is extraordinary, but possible.

8-years-old is mature, but not elderly.

Indoor cats live MUCH longer than outdoor cats.

• Binky

We've had cats live to 16+ years

cats can live up to about 19 years, most of mine have lasted until about 14. Some of them get diabetes and kidney problems and I had one get cancer and only live to about 8.

our cat lived too be 12 or 13