Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

working out?

what's the best product to take while working out (not steroids)

and could u tell me side effects on them (if they have any)

I currently take whey protein but I want something that will give me better results and help me more. thanks

Favorite Answer

I can't tell you the latest-greatest miracle products but I can tell you what I use. For reference, I started working out in February '06 and since then I've lost 22 pounds of fat while gaining 55 pounds of muscle. So with that in mind, this is what I use:

Multivitamins. The stress you're placing on your body by weight training creates a much higher demand for vitamins and minerals. I take a liquid multi twice a day. As long as the vitamin A and D in it are water soluble it won't hurt you.

Glutamine. The most abundant amino acid in the body that helps with muscle repair and protein synthesis. Take 10 grams a day, once in the morning and once after working out. Helps repair the damage you're doing.

D-Ribose. Pure carbohydrates for energy. Take immediately before working out, helps with mitochondrial energy production.

BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids) These are aminos NOT produced in the body so you need to supplement with them. They are L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine. I take 'em twice a day, once immediately after working out. These are the best muscle repair aminos you can eat, but you should take them on an empty stomach.

L-Carnitine. Helps with fat burning. Acetyl L-Carnitine is more potent and also helps with brain function. More expensive, but that's what I take. Twice a day with CLA (see below).

Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) and Conjugated Lipoic Acid (CLA). These two supplements are antioxidants and fat-burners. I take ALA once in the morning, and CLA twice. An hour before I work out and just before bed.

Working out is tough on the joints, so I also take these to help with joint repair:

MSM Joint Formula by Natural Factors. MSM (methyl-sulfonyl methane, an anti-inflammatory) with Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate. It's important that you use sulfates and not HCL as they're more easily absorbed by the body.

Bromelain. It's an enzyme that acts as an anti-inflammatory when taken on an empty stomach. When taken with food it acts as a digestive enzyme.

Manganese. Many positive benefits in the body but I take it for joint repair.

ALL of these supplements are NATURAL, so there are NO side effects, aside from faster muscle repair which means faster growth.

In response to previous posters: I've never taken NO-Xplode, but it appears its main purpose is to jack up your nitrous oxide levels (which can be done with a proper diet) and increase vascularity. Seems unnecessary. Creatine is not intended to get you jacked, its function is to increase ATP output in the muscle, which helps strength and recovery during workouts. The thing with creatine is that you MUST increase your water intake or it won't work, as creatine retains water in the muscle. You might notice a slight increase in size while taking it but it really didn't do anything for me.

Creatine. It works, but the long term effects are not determined yet, so it is somewhat risky. It's better than steroids in terms of side effects, but it will not give you as good of results. The good news is that it is legal.

There is not a product that works over the counter. There like taking a flintstone's vitamin, useless. Save your money. Or take the chance with the real stuff, not recommended. Work your butt off and in a few years you will be at your goal.

Take 24 hours off between workouts. This will get you cut faster & avoid injuries, as it allows time for the muscles to heal. Do an alternate type activity on the off days, ie. aerobic, then non-aerobic,ie running, next day lifting, etc.

Also studies have shown that 8 reps are as effective as 12, and I notice this is accurate in my routine.

Healthy New Year to you!.

Source(s): Muscle & Fitness, & Shape (magazines)
  • Phlow

dont listen to that other guy, creatine will destroy your liver

best thing is only regular whey protein power.

i am working hard at hardly working!

NO explode

idk