Jo asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

what do you know about the drug paxil?

Favorite Answer

Didn't do a damn thing for me except cause a little weight gain. I still ended up getting worse and worse until I ended up in the hospital and was put on suicide watch. In fact, I tried all kinds of antidepressants that didn't work. Wanna know what did?....

http://www.geocities.com/seabulls69/Antidepressant...

Source(s): The oldest and finest educational facility on the planet, The School of Hard Knocks. (BTDT) PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO PICK A BEST ANSWER Even if it isn’t mine.

I have been taking Paxil since 1995 and never had any problems or side effects. I like taking Paxil. A couple of times I have ran out and was unable to get my refills. The withdrawals I experienced wasn't difficult at all, generally they lasted anywhere from 48 to 60 hrs with very little side effects. Paxil reacts differently with each person and also how it reacts with the other drugs these individuals may be taking. Take only what the doctor prescribes. After reading the others who have responded to your call, I seem to be one of the few who likes Paxel. I've been a good boy all my life because I don't smoke and drink either.... This is my testimony for Paxil.. I hope this helps.. Good Luck...

I took Paxil from age 15 to age 16 and I was suicidal while on it.

• Lisa J

Paxil is in the SSRI class of anti-depressents. Meaning serotin reuptake inhibitor. SSRI's have the lowest risk of major side effects. Not everyone has the same reaction to medication. What doesn't work for one person, doesn't mean it won't work for you. I'd suggest researching the med as much as possible. It's probably a good idea to talk to a pharmacist also. Try looking it up on webmd.com or medicinenet.com. Good info there.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for years. I've been on Paxil now for 4 years. I was on it years ago and it made me feel more agitated. I have a new doctor who suggested I try it combined with a mood stabilizer (Depakote). Emotionally, I feel more peaceful and better than ever before. I have gained some weight since I started taking it, but the emotional benefits have been so good, that it has been worth it to me.

Source(s): Life Experience

Paxil is an SSRI, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor...in other words, it prevents your brain cells from absorbing it too quickly, leaving more of it available. Since low serotonin levels have been linked to depression, Paxil helps by raising brains levels of serotonin. It is effective in most people. However, it does take about six weeks for it to work and it has a negative effect on your libido, causing inability to ejaculate or have orgasms. That's why its sometimes used for men that suffer from premature ejaculation.

Aside from the obvious-

I've tried paxil as has one of my friends. For both of us, we felt kind of numb. As if we couldn't feel good or bad things but like we were just functioning. It wasn't a nice feeling.

Celexa on the other hand has been MUCH better for me psychologically- even though it totally decreased my libido. In order to counteract the libido issue, my doctor added wellbutrin to it. I am my old self again!

Hope the information is helpful...

Source(s): personal experience
  • momof3

I took paxil for five years (even took it when I was pregnant with my first child, and as far as we know, he has no heart problems). It really did help me while I took it, but getting off of it was pure hell. I had dizziness, heart palpitations, moodiness, and other problems.

I took it as a teen and became suicidal.

My advice is to work very closely with your doctor about what medications might be best for you. Every individual is different, so your experience will vary from others' experiences. Be sure to report to your doctor if you feel an increase in depression or suicidal thoughts.

Good luck to you!

For the obvious...here is the website: www.paxil.com. For the experience? It varies in every individual. I myself have tried it twice with not avail. It's decreased my metabolism and I started gaining weight even with diet and exercise.

Source(s): 22 Years panic attacks and agoraphobia