your_cutie05 asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Do Leopard Geckos like to be petted?

I know its not good to pick them up, because it stresses them out and they can die. But is petting them harmful? Another thing, do they only eat during certain times...because mine hasn't eaten in like a week. Is he just not hungry?

• Favorite Answer

Leopard Geckos are not the ones you see outside your house, unless you are in Pakistan, India, or Afghanistan. But obviously you're messing around if you are talking about feeding them chicken.

To the Original Poster:

Geckos do not get enjoyment out of being petting. However, many don't care and will allow it. Both my girls, if sitting, will usually care less if I pet them. Some geckos actually seek out being held. Holding them is not harmful. But older gecko's that have never been held are not going to take it easily, usually. Alot depends on their personality. I have one girl that since she was very young, will *calmly* walk up to your hand and climb up most of the time, and walk all over you. At times sitting very still. The other would prefer not to be held. Regarding feeding, Leos should be pigs. If your gecko isn't eating, you need to find out why. Is it warm enough? Leos should have under the tank heaters and be kept at a certain temperature. Check out www.thereptileroom.org , there are alot of leo fanciers there and breeders with alot of experience who can give you more advanced advice. Good luck.

I pick both of mine once a day to let them out and run. They like climbing on my shirt too. It doesn't usually stress them out. I will pet them sometimes, but if they try to run away, I stop.

I know that snakes fast, but i'm not sure about leopard geckos. I'd call a vet or ask an expert.

I have one, there not harmful, unless your mean, and if you are, they remember. They will "bite" I guess you can say. Picking up is okay, if your gentle, petting is okay if your gentle. as for feeding them they can be fed for long times apart, VERY LONG TIMES, I wait 1 more or less weeks for my small gecko, and for when it grew up 2-3 weeks apart.

Yeah....I got one outside tha house and I feed him chicken everyday..... he wont eat baked chicken................ only fried chicken, but hey, I dont blame him!!!