Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why does Texas have huge highway interchanges?

I just went through Texas today, including Austin and Dallas, and saw these huge interchanges that have one lane bridges going all over the place. In Iowa, we would just put in a cloverleaf intersection and not spend a lot of money. Anyone wish to enlighten?

Favorite Answer

Because they do everything big in Texas, didn't you know? Seriously, what you are looking at is evidence that Texas did not expect to grow in population as quickly as it did ... they simply had no time to anticipate their growth. Highway construction exists in deficit ... what you need today is put on the planning shelf to arrive, fully created, about 7 years down the road. To create those cloverleafs, you need different gradients of roads, an upper level and lower level (a road and a bridge, right?). If you have more than 2 roads intersecting (and Texas does), the equation gets all the more difficult. Each time the state has to change the road level means sheer tons of dirt and roadbed materials, and a lot of time, which would snarl their traffic. So, the state has made do with the huge bridges. Believe of not, they are quicker to construct and cost less when you consider the cost of roadbed materials, dirt, manhours. etc.

If you check out the Loudoun area outside of DC, you see the same thing. It is an unfortunate result of our growth patterns. I doubt Iowa has the the immense population increases either area has experienced, so your road construction can take a normal, thought-out pace. I too live in a low population growth area where the biggest news in town is which tobacco field has been sold to developers, so we too have cloverleaf exits ... aren't they nice?

I have often wondered about that myself. I think that the reason is because it rarely if ever snows in Dallas . Those high interchanges would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Because we have big cities that connect to each other.. Houston is one of the worst because its the biggest city in Tx..

Maybe because of the use of larger vehicles.Like semi's.