Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What Kind of dog should i get if i have a small backyard and a 5 yr old brother?

Favorite Answer

A terrier is a good size, but some are diggers. I would do alot of research before getting a dog. Some don't like kids. Labs are great w/kids, but they are pretty good sized, unless you find a small one. Wiener dogs are good, my neighbor has a couple of them. Good luck

It depends on how often you'll excercise the dog, it's important that it gets out of your backyard. If you have the time to go for long walks/runs, getting a high-energy dog like a Lab, German Shepherd, Husky, whatever, that's fine. If you don't have the time to exercise the dog a lot, and just want to be able to let it loose in your yard, you should pick a lower-energy dog like a Bulldog, Bassett Hound, Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or Cocker Spaniel [cute!!], SharPei [the really wrinkly ones haha], or a Pug, these are just some suggestions. A lot of these low-energy dogs are pretty small, so they should be fine around your brother. Good luck!

...

A 5-years old is still in the age group that likes to bully

animals, so get a dog that is big enough to take care

of itself. As others have suggested - golden retrievers

and labs are good.

Be sure to take your dog for at least one long walk

everyday. Not only with this expend pent up energy

for living in a small yard, it with reestablish you as

the dogs leader. Remember never to let your dog

lead you, so keep it at your side, a few inches back.

Take your brother with you, so to establish him as

a leader also. It will be good training for all, not to

mention the good exercise.

Owning a dog is not for the lazy.

...

Most labs or retrievers tend to be the most child-friendly. German shepards who have already been trained are also very safe. Otherwise, smaller dogs tend to be more likely to not understand to be gentle around small children, medium sized dogs are capable of it though. My beagle is completely different (less crazy, under control) when he's in the company of my baby niece.

One thing we have learned is that if you have a hyper 5yr old brother, and a small back yard then it would work to have adog that will burn off the little ones energy and visa versa.Allow them to compliment each other.

It works for us with a four yr old.

Source(s): personal knowledge

French Bulldog, Pug, or Boston Terrier. They are all great with kids, do not need a lot of exercise, and are fairly easy to care for. Also, they are not snappy and do not usually bark a lot. All of those breeds need to be kept inside, but can come outside to play.

• Jusme

Take the test on Animal planet site about the best dog for you. It will help you so much! I found breeds that I didn't know about. I chose the West Highland White Terrier! That breed it the right one for my family!

Source(s): experience
  • CF_

and older (adult) dog who requires less work than a puppy and wont hurt the kid like a puppy and doesnt need as much running.. however you will still have to walk the doggie.. the size of your yard isnt as important as how much time in general you have for the dog since it still needs daily walks...

no Border Collies or smart dogs - they will destroy your home...

a Golden Retreiver is good

Probably a beagle ecause they are great with children. try not to head for chihuahuas and other toy breeds because your child may accidently step on it, or kick it and that will result in biting.

I personally like mutts myself, a golden retriver might be good though or a lab :). look on this website to see if there is any up for adoption in you're area and that they are child friendly.

www.petfinder.com

Good luck!