Clean unwanted hard drive contents?

Is there a way to access and permenantly deletehard drive contents? I did a scan of my hard drive using a freeware program I downloaded from cnet.com. It showed me things that need to be cleadned up. Specifically, all my internet credit card transactions. I have had the CC # stolen. I know I can reformat the drive, but that will cause me to lose everything. Does reformatting actually remove everything? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I use Firefox 2.0 and I have set it to delete all web files cookies ETC every time I shut it down. Next I use the CCleaner which works real well. This little thing will clean all the private data that might be left behinde.

I think you need to continue searching because I believe it's more than Internet cookies. There is a DOS program that can find permanently deleted files, but I don't know what it is. I am also looking for that program. When people get rid of their computer, they erase everything on their harddrive, but thieves have been able to use a program to retrieve the deleted data- this program IS available, just keep looking and asking questions.

It is almost impossible to erase everything on the hard drive. If you are concerned about security you have to physically destroy it. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but seems to me you are trying to avoid any cc from being stolen. I am not sure, but I really don't think you have any cc information on your hard drive. Alos keep in mind the liabilty for CC is only $50 for most CC companies. I would suggest you get ZoneAlarm, it has a firewall, spyware removal, and virus remonal. You may also want to clean all your internet temporary files and cookies.

Reformatting does not remove everything. It writes over everything. The old stuff is still on there and someone who knows what they are doing can see it. There are programs you can get that will continually rewrite over the stuff on your harddrive. The one I use is KillDisk. They have a free version that writes 3 times. I bought one that writes more than that because I had to turn my old harddrive into Dell.

• G

Deleting and high-level formatting doesn't destroy the contents of a hard drive.

In order to completely (or near completely) erase the data on your hard drive, you should run a disk utility that will re-write null data to the drive. Many hard drive manufacturers have a utility that will do this. Usually it will be called a Zero-fill utility. The number of times you have it fill the disk contents with zeros, the harder it will be to recover data from the drive.

Hello,

Maybe your hard drive is in danger, and it needs to get reformatted.. That happened to me lots of times, and fortunately I was able to recover all the data using a great software tool, which I recovered all of my files.

Here is what I recommend: Download this!

http://www.download.com/Active-File-Recovery/3000-...

Use this program to try and recover all of your files from that Hard Drive, and after you do that, reformat it and it will be back to normal.

Hope this helps! It worked for me!

Good luck.

reformatting is wiping the drive clean of everything

nothing will be left

internet transaction is store in cookie

you access that internet option of your browser

delete your cookies

Yes a format will destroy everything.

Try moving what you want to keep to another drive, and then format the drive. The offenders are eradicated, and your dataif safe. Consider an encryption app to close of your security needy data.

• Erika

sure beginning off pop united statescan acquire undesirable information, yet not all pop united statesare secret agent ware. secret agent ware can are available in different kinds, it somewhat is precious to to have a AntiSpyware utility scanning your equipment on a familiar foundation. try advert-conscious SE.