Just got Nero Home Media for Christmas. Burned a dvd took 4 hours Is that normal?

Is this a good program? It seems like its hard to figure and I think it slows my computer down. I like some of the features but a 4 hr. burn ,,,,,, My laptop is brand new so I know it's not that.

Favorite Answer

how did you burn a dvd? did you copy a dvd? or did you burn a movie file you had on your computer? what speed is the DVD drive, and what speed DVD-R were you using?

it sounds like what happened is you burned a media file off your computer. almost all movies you have on your computer are NOT in DVD format, so your computer has to convert them. this takes a very long time depending on the speed of your computer, so 4 hours is pretty normal, even at 16x recording speed (which i wouldn't recommend anyway, because it may be less compatible in certain dvd players) recording at 1x will take as long as the movie is, so a 2 hour movie would take 2 hours to record, WITHOUT converting.

this is the reason you see people with $3000 computers, to make stuff like this faster. just about anything else is lightning fast already :p

Part of the problem is you simply don't have enough RAM for cache files. Doing DVD burning takes A LOT of space, but it shouldn't take 4 hours. It's possible that, on your DVD burner settings, you may be asking it to record at too high of a speed. It may be giving you the option to go at 16X, but the machine might really only be able to handle 2X or 4X. That's what your freezing or hanging-up problem may be related to. Try telling the system to burn at 2X or 4X, that may solve your problem. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to burn most disks, and often less than 1 hour each after the first one, if it's the same info. Nero is a bit better than Ulead, in the burning department. If you can, I'd recommend getting Roxio Toast. That's one of the best.

Dvd Took Took

This can depend on Many things. I used to run on ATA133 and it took my 7 hours to burn one. But then i found the SATA on my mother board and bought a SATA Hard drive and my burning time was cut down to an hour or so. It can also depend on how many programs you have running at once or something else like your amount of RAM. But to answer your question, this is normal.

Source(s): 6 years building Computers

lol no it should take about 10 min or faster to burn a dvd

4 hours is too long

something's wrong

Yes it can be. Most of the time if you have a lot of stuff running tha will slow it down also.

u need to go into the device manager and enable dma for the drive(direct memory accsess) it makes a big difference