What is up with Time magazine making the person of the year YOU?

Hey, I'm an American living in England and I just wonder what depth have been reached in imagination that TIME magazine has a mirror on its cover for December and the person of the year is you and you and you and you and even ME if I buy their cheesy magazine. What is up with that anyway...?

Favorite Answer

The American establishment is puzzled what to do. There was the year when they had to face up to Vietnam, this year they've had to face up to Iraq. They ended the year allowing their erstwhile protege to be executed. Well you could hardly declare either Bush or Saddam "Person of the Year" - they've both been defeated. Yes, Time ought to have had the courage, the capacity and the perception to have discerned who the catalyst of change was. Who has taken strides towards the Presidency? Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton? The U.K., France? The U.N. Unacceptable changes everywhere. They have opted out.

It is only with hindsight that one can tell whose influence was decisive. Time may have abdicated responsibilities even when the War in Vietnam was over. It was the Baby Boomers who did it - then known as the Flower Power Generation, headed by the much older Senator Eugene McCarthy. Did they pick him, or Dr Benjamin Spock, or Noam Chomsky.

Come to think of it, Chomsky's still with us, and still active. They could have given it to him. Or to that thirteen year old Amish girl who who offered to get shot first, and had that wish (?) fulfilled. It is still the American perspective that dominates, but they'd have to pick one out from outside the establishment.

In other words one has to go for the extra-ordinary American; Karma Chimaera you are one of them. Few Americans seem able to say they, their country, or their activities, are ordinary. If there are more like you, you give the world some hope.

I know I have raised more questions than answered. But I don't aspire to rule the world. On the other hand, if I controlled Time I would have used that influence to have highlighted the efforts of someone like Chomsky.

As for Time, they have used technology (the mirror gimmick) to opt out.

They have run out of ideas, just like the libs.

they shoulda have a footnote.: "this does not include , KARMA CHIMERA"

Well, i am fabulous!