Tuning and Learning to play a guitar?

I just got a Gibson beginners guitar for chirstmas, so far I know the basic notes to play, but Im having trouble with the sound, the guitar is tuned but the strings sound bad, even when I hit the sweet spots, but yet its tuned, is there a way I can fix this so when I hit the strings it wont make that fuzzy sound so much, or am I just not playin it right, and whats the best way to learn with out having an actual instructor, whats the best DVD or manual I can buy that will teach me to play?

Favorite Answer

Well, from a distance, it sounds like the guitar may not be "set up"properly. You have to check to see that, when you fret a string, you're not getting a buzz from a higher fret, or from the pickup, or whatever, that should be in the "open" part of the string.

In other words, the string should be able to vibrate clear of any obstruction between the bridge and the fret you're using. Sometimes, if the angle between the neck and the body is not set correctly, or if the bridge itself is set too low, it's impossible to get a clean note. The string vibrates against frets and things that it should not be touching.

So, pluck the open string, and assure yourself that you're getting a clean note. Then fret at the first fret and see if that's good. And so on for each fret and each string.

You should also be sure that you're fretting the string close to the fret - not in the middle of the board between the two frets, but closer, actually, to the fret that determines the pitch.

There are so many online lessons available you won;t have any problem finding one. Also, CDs and DVDs are available for purchase, and you might want to take some actual lessons.

• flywho

It is possible that your guitar is 'relatively' tuned but not tuned to the correct pitch.

Your best bet is go to a music store and buy a pitch pipe. Re-tune the guitar so the strings match the sounds on the pitch pipe.

Fuzzy sound can come from not depressing the strings enough or from being too far away from the fret(s).

Try to adjust your finger depression and nearness to the fret until the string quits buzzing. If the guitar is tuned too low, the strings will have too much slack and will buzz no matter how correctly you play, so making sure you have it tuned correctly is your first step.

Music stores will also carry chord books and manuals, and that's how I started years before I even knew about the internet (1971).

When you go online to find instruction DVDs or manuals, try some of the free ones first.

There's a lot of high-priced stuff out there that isn't much better than the free stuff.

Happy Playing!

You need to buy a music guitar book with notes matching to chords and also use YouTube videos, nevershoutnever songs are shown on YouTube oftenly with how to step by steps. With the tuning situation you need to buy an electronic tuner because at this point you cannot tune by ear, the strings shoul be tuned (starting from the smallest string to the biggest) e, b, g, d, a, e. Remember it will be hard at first but don't give up you will get the hang of it you can find the tuner and book at any guitar store or guitar center.

How long it takes to learn guitar depends on how good you want to get and how much practice you put in. How good you can get with 1-2 hours a day for a few months depends on what methods you use to practice. There are effective practice methods that will help you make the best use of your time. This course is one of the best. https://bitly.im/aMSfl It's not just about how much you play but how effectively you play that will determine how good you will get.

well you should tune evrey day and if you do that most guitars come with cheap strings so you might want to change them all.

My string suggestion is GHS boomers the fussy sound may be caused by your distortin level on the amp and as for lessons guitar eXprees

Source(s): long time guitar player
  • From what it sounds like your not holding the strings all the way down. Its a common mistake with beginners and the only way that helped me was to just keep practicing until I built up strength in my fingers and was able to hold the strings down properly. Also if your fingers start to hurt if you can keep going for a little bit (5-10min.) then rest a day (be careful not to cut yourself) your finger tips will eventually build callus and it wont hurt as much. And have fun playing.