Why aren't tires completely filled with rubber instead of air?

I think if tires were completely made of rubber that puncture wounds wouldn't cause any deflation in the tires whatsoever. What do you think? Don't patent my idea.

Favorite Answer

As a tire engineer, I've filled tires with all kinds of things. A popular additional profit filler is nitrogen. There are some advantages, but certainly not worth the cost.

Helium has some interesting properties, like noise attenuation, but it tends to diffuse through cast aluminum pretty quickly.

A high density foam might work, but would be hard to balance.

THere are already "run flat" tires on the market. They're quite expensive.

The biggest problem with solid rubber tires is their mass. I could probably deal with their performance as far as ride by compensating with the springs and shocks, but the inertia of the tire would cause handling issues. ...and since you have to set them to rotating, their inertia would also cause your fuel consumption to increase, not to mention reduce your braking performance.

If you don't like the idea of pneumatic tires, you can run very low profile tires. The problem with these is people put them on their car with little understanding of ride and handling.

I am always amazed when someone buys a new car, puts these huge wheels on it, and then brings it into a dealer because it rides rough or pulls. DUH!

It has been tried in the past. Actually tires were filled with foam of rubber origin. Unfortunately it is very difficult to distribute the foam properly and this rise problems in balancing. However it is still possible to buy foam filled tires in Europe.

Source(s): Partially my job

A tire filled completely of rubber or other solid material would build up too much heat inside and destroy itself due to not being able to cool down fast enough.

Solid tires would create a very rough ride and wouldn't allow any side wall give so your car wouldn't take corners well at all.

They are great for trikes but are not for cars.

It would ride extremely rough on solid rubber tires.

it would be like riding in a red flyer wagon from the 1950s it would rattle your teeth out of your head and cause shaken baby syndrome to kids they have to have air i give it a smooth ride. your shocks and springs can only do so much.

Air is cheaper than rubber.

Because it would ride like a shopping cart

It's been tried already. They are too rough riding and extremely hard to balance....as I understand.

no they would be far too heavy and would not stay on the rims well enough to be good for cars. o.k. for weelchairs though.