Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Anyone ever been pregnant??

has anyone had those weird cravings for like tissue paper or something, i have a big thing with chewing my tongue and chewing on clean wet towels when they're wet.My sister had that same problem. Whats is that?

Favorite Answer

It's called Pica.

"The reason that some women develop pica cravings during pregnancy is not known for certain. There is currently no identified cause; however, according to the Journal of American Dietetic Association there may be a connection to an iron deficiency.

Some speculate that pica cravings are the body's attempt to obtain vitamins or minerals that are missing through normal food consumption. Sometimes pica cravings may be related to an underlying physical or mental illness."

"What can you do if you have pica cravings?

Don't panic; it happens and is not abnormal. The most important thing is to inform your health care provider to make sure you have a complete understanding of the specific risks associated with your cravings. Here are some suggestions to help you deal with pica cravings:

* Inform your health care provider and review your prenatal health records

* Monitor your iron status along with other vitamin and mineral intake

* Consider potential substitutes for the cravings such as chewing sugarless gum

* Inform a friend of your craving who can help you avoid non-food items"

Unlike the mechanism that causes us to be thirsty, I don't know that there is any mechanism that is triggered when we receive cravings for sweets.

I doubt there is any nutrient lacking from your diet that is in chocolate. There is a condition called pica, but pica is related to iron deficiency. Affected women have cravings for non-food items such as laundry starch, clay, dirt, chalk or ashes. So, on the upside, be glad you are not outside in search of a nice pile of dirt to throw on your salad! On the other hand, if you find yourself craving salty foods, it may be because your body needs more sodium.

But, more often than not, your cravings are caused by hormone changes and are harmless. If you can resist the urge of chocolate, great! However, I don't see the problem with having chocolate every now and then while you are pregnant.

However, if you are the kind of person who can't control the cravings and are afraid they may get out of hand, then don't eat it. I used to have an all-out obsession with peanut butter when I was doing Weight Watchers years ago. I couldn't figure out how to stop the craving. I asked the group leader what she suggested and she said, "don't eat it". Simple, yes, but it worked.

Otherwise, why not try low fat, low calorie substitutions? Non-fat frozen yogurt, fudgsicles, low-fat ice cream, low-fat chocolate bars. On the flip side, I also don't think depriving yourself is the way to go. If you are craving it, eat it, get the craving out of your system and go on. The more you ignore it, the worse it can get. It really depends on your habits. Everyone is different. For me, it's all or nothing. If I don't eat it, I don't miss it. But if you think about a certain food and can't get it out of your head, why torture yourself, just eat it! :o) Alison

Good luck, Andrea

Source(s): pregnancytoday.com

It's called pica, when you crave non-food items during pregnancy.

I never had to deal with that in my 3 pregnancies!!! Good luck!

Sorry, I accidentally put the wrong link. But I see others have it above!!

i am currently 31 weeks pregnant with baby number two and i personally havent had any cravings like that but my cousin craved chewing on cotton balls with two of her three pregnancies its so wierd maybe your not getting some kind of nutrient you need i am not sure i just know my midwife told me if i did that to let them know

Sounds like you are anemic, you should see your doctor about low red blood cells. That is a common thing that happens in pregnancy. They will probably start you on iron. Good luck, and don't wait to call your doctor to check, it is just a small blood test.

ok that's weird!! My craving were for all different kinds of food. I did hear that when you crave things it's something that your body is lacking.

I believe it is caused pica and I think it is a type of anemia. You need to talk to your doctor and have them check your blood levels.

yes ive been pregnant 3 time it was horrible i crave the worse

It's called pica and it can be a sign of malnutrition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

You have something called Pica. You need to see your OB and talk to him/her about this.