Why does our noses dry up in winter if we use house heating while it does not in summer with similar temp.?

I live in area where it snows in winter and we heat house to keep it warm. When I get up in morning nose feels very dry, so we have to use humidifier to keep that problem away. ( I keep house temperature at 70 degree F). But I am wondering why noses wont dry up when its summer ( and we do not use humidifiers ) and temperatures are anyway more than 70 degree F. If humidity is less inside house in winter, why is it so? why only in winter and not in summer. If humidity decreases inside house because we keep windows closed in winter, I would like to know why that also happens as any humidity inside should stay inside if windows are closed.

Favorite Answer

Air conditioning uses a humid cooling source (evaporation) while heat is a dry source.

The summer humidity is a lot higher, inside the house and out, and the winter temperatures contribute to the drying effect. Unless you run the humidifier continuously, the hot, dry furnace air will make the air inside the house very dry and drying.

while I know that calgon in the water makes the water softer it could be gentler to your skin if you have hard water. I love living in apartments because they have soft water as opposed to homes that a lot of them have hard water. Vasaline intensive care and Lubriderm are two of the products I use. I used to use baby oil in the bath water (of course you don't wash your hair in that water though) but for seniors one might slip in the tub so just putting cream on the skin afterward is the best thing to do. If you're drying out from the heat then that means the heat is too high so turn down the heat and wear a sweater. For itching from perspiration I use rubbing alcohol to wipe off the perspiration. There are baby wipes too that you can use (pre-moistened). And there are anti-bacterial wipes you can get at Walgreens that are called "wetones". I like to put those in my refrigerator and then on a hot day wipe my face and neck with them. Vasaline though has always been an old standby and works well to lubricate. There are like bubble baths made with vasaline in them if you still take tub baths. One other thing, hair and skin reflect your body's health and what you put into your body. Perhaps you need some fishoil or vegetable oil of sorts on your food. Or can take fish oil in a pill form. Olive oil and coconut oil are good for a person too (within reason) on food.

Even though the temperatures end up being similar, you are having to use heat to raise the temp in the winter which takes the moisture out of the air.

its all to do with humidity. if you live like in the midwest, south, or east, its usually very humid. but when it comes winter time, warm, humid gulf air stops coming up, thus colder temps and less humid air. in the summer, if you travel west into the mountains, many people get drier noses and also can be more prone to nosebleeds.

the heating system pulls humidity out of the air and in general air is more dry in winter, in summer the A/C add water vapor to the air

Too complicated. Ask another question.