The post office is closed...how could I get something postmarked by the first?

I need an application to be postmarked by the 2nd (tuesday). Is there any way that I can get this done? It's just a letter (in a legal envelope...so it requires a little more postage). Is there any other way that I can get this posted (minus the usps, as they arent freakin open because of the holidays).

• MJ
    Favorite Answer

Go to USPS.com and setup an account through them or directly with stamps.com. You will be able to print out a postage meter with the current date, ahead of the second.

Source(s): I'm a USPS Letter Carrier, a Chief NALC Steward, and the moderator of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostalWorkers/

Even though the post office service window is closed,the mail sorters are there working in the back.

Most post offices have an area in the lobby with a postage scale and postage machine for service. Some now have an automatedservice macine that accepts credit/debit cards. It will weigh the letter,calculate the postage and print the postage for you to attach to the letter. You can also purchase stamps and certified postage with all the forms needed.

The receipt printed after you complete your business has the time and date on it and the tracking number of the certified postage.

You can also invest in a small postage machine for use at home that you can recharge online with the post office.

Source(s): Dad retired from post office,personal experiance.
    • Nadina3 years agoReport

This worked!! I paid a little extra for certified mail, to make sure I'd get a label & not just stamps. But sure enough, it was printed with today's date (went in around 6pm), and put it into the barrel that went straight to the back, where I could definitely still hear people working. :)

If I make it to the Post Office by 5:30 pm will it be postmarked today

find a business that has their own postage meter and let them mark it for you. Kinkos, Officemax maybe, the UPS Brown Store, places like that are worth calling. A lot of small businesses have their own, too, insurance companies, etc, they'll all be at work on Tuesday.

Legal size envelopes are the same rate as regular. It's the thickness because it is jammed full of paper that makes it more postage, not the length, so if it's only one page, you're fine with a 39 cent stamp. If it's an 8 x 11 envelope it will be 87 cents.

Source(s): Small business owner, do my own mailboy job.. :)

Sorry, you are too late. A postmark is a legal stamp and can not be back dated. If you were in one of the blizzard states- that might be a valid excuse for the later postmark.

well due to the National mourning day for President

ford I presume the people who you are mailing that application

would understand the delay (besides Jan1 the post office was closed anyway!

or you could also have it sent via Fedex (they are open and will

deliver stuff on Tuesday,

Source(s): work for Fedex

there are privately owned Postal Offices , which are also usually located in a General Store setting which might be open today. you better get on the phone and start looking

can't do it you should have mailed it earlier..and guess what ..they are closed on the second also...lol