I am requesting infromation of the laws concerning being on call 24 hours a day for your job?

My husband is working for a company who recently put him on call 24 hours a day at 7 days a week. With only time off if he tells them at least 5 days in advance. He is on hourly wages. He works as matinenance repair for an apartment complex. When he started work for them the agreement was he would be on call for emergencys every third week. He does not get paid unless he is called in to do a work order. Yet they expect him to be available at all times. Can any one help me find out what the laws are concerning these working conditions. Is it legal for the company to do such. And do they have to pay for him being on call or only when he is called into a job. We can't go any where or do any thing as he may have a call come in and he has to be available. At this time we could not even get up in the morning and decide to go on a Sunday drive. We would have to let the company know a week in advance. Help!

Favorite Answer

why

On call is not deemed actively working and is used for scheduling purposes to cover a possible need for a live body to actually do work.