Why is the cold water faucet always on the right hand side?

Here's a hint -- History of plumbing

Here's another hint --- have they always had hot water?

Hint: where would you put the cold water faucet if you didn't have any hot water (like before water heaters?)

Favorite Answer

It's just traditional.

Most people are right handed and that is the faucet that will normally get turned on first. Cold was placed on the right to prevent scalds and burns. It is now required by the plumbing code in all states and cities that have one to prevent confusion. We are now having problems with single lever faucets because sometimes the distribution ball is installed upside down and causes hot water to come out when the lever goes to the right. Another good reason to use a licensed plumber.

Well, not always. While at a Chinese resturant, the cold and hot water faucets were switched in the bathroom, leading to some confusion on my part. I don't know really. Maybe it's because a majority of the population is right-handed. Good question, but I haven't a clue.

Gee Zefram.. for someone who supposedly invented the WARP engine, you're not very bright. The answer is: Most people are right handed, and therefore the SAFEST (from the standpoint of Hot water burns the skin) water (cold) is always at the handiest position, i.e., THE RIGHT!!!

• Maggie

Not always. My bedroom bathroom faucet has cold on left, hot on right. The hallway bathroom faucet is hot on left, cold on right. It gets confusing sometimes.

It is one of the basic standards of plumbing.. hot on left cold on right and crap flows downhill.

Because, for the same reason the hot is on the left.

My children have asked me that same question.

I told them that it's because most people are right handed & they will reach with their right hand to turn on the water to brush their teeth. That no one wants to brush their teeth with hot water.

Just my opinion.

• LucySD

To keep a standard of plumbing .

Source(s): ex plumbers wife

Because its a standard.

so that even if ur going to different places u'd know which one's for cold water.