Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

why do certain cds just suddenly stop being recognised on ma computer?

my cd drive is working fine. at least i think it is. but a few important cds like my system reboot cd just suddenly stops being read on ma computer. this has happened before. but before i could get it solved within one month the cd started working again!! now i need to use the cd again..and again its stopped being read...its been three months now...when i just now tried it...it suddenly began to read..when i rebooted my comp its stop reading again..WHATS HAPPENING!!...what can i do?!?! how do i prevent this from happening again!??! i cant reboot ma comp if theres a genuine software problem...BECAUSE THE SOFTWARE REBOOT ITSELF ISNT WORKING...please help!!

software reboot cd..i meant to say that now the software reboot cd itself isnt responding..please help

i understand youl feel its wear and tear or i need to clean the lense and all...but heres the funny fact....most of ma cds work...barring a few...which have worked before...but have mysteriously stopped reading now...if i put any other music cd or game cd into the drive right now it will read...but not these few cds which i repeat again...do work suddenly now and then...and have worked before...HELP...GULP!!

Favorite Answer

Sometimes your CD drive might require a Firmware update..

Umm, no. I wouldn't use a hair dryer, LOL! Heat doesn't give you any advantage to cleaning! Instead, use a can of compressed air (you can buy these just about anywhere). Spray air in quick bursts starting at one side moving to the other. I don't recommend using cleaning discs which can actually do more harm than good. Air is the safest way...

Intermittent issues like that usually mean the lens is dirty, or there is a mechanical problem in the drive. It's probably best just to replace it at this point, if cleaning doesn't work. Regular CD and DVD-ROM drives are dirt cheap these days, especially if you buy online at a site like Newegg.com or Buy.com

After sometime, the CD/DVD laser lens which used to read your CD/DVD degrade (wear & tear, dust, etc). In Short nothing last forever, I believed buy a new DVD drive will solve your problem. I've been using computer for 15 years & I've been dealing with the same problem. Juz buy a new DVD drive, they are freaking cheap nowaday.

1st of all i dont think its just the CD

2nd try cleaning ur CD ROM with a HEAD CLEANING CD or a blower (hair dryers work on this :D )

is still doesnt work try using a different software

and clean up ur computer a little too

wait are u trying to boot ur PC with a CD?

Pencontinual information restoration utility retrieves information lost simply by unintentional deletion, Human errors, Virus attack, broken record gadget, hardware malfunction and various variety of gadget failure. that's designed to get better formatted deleted lacking directories, folders and records from logically crashed transportable detachable media drives. if this too deos no longer works then there is not any way that u can get ur information lower back..if ur pendrive is in guarantee era then u can get it replaced..

If your computer is not working properly while you are working on it, it could be a problem with device drivers, hardware or software.

Detailed instructions at http://tinyurl.com/yk5zpr