joed43me asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

do weightlifters/bodybuiders need extra protein in their diets?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. However, this should be done with natural high protien low fat foods. Supplemental protien drinks will saturate the body with protien which can cause damage over time to your system. If your going to take this route see your doctor and have him take a protien level test.

I know this from personal experience.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Fast Track Muscle Building - http://BuildMuscle.oruty.com/?vydL
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

2grams of protein need to be consumed per pound of body weight plus 10-15 grams or glutamine per day to help with protein synthesis. I'm Ronnie Coleman's Biggest fan and I've studied the man intensely. He took Mr. O 8 years straight!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. But actually, EVERYONE needs more protein. People eat WAY too much carb, and have bought into the myth that fat and protein are BAD. That's the Food Guide Pyramid - avoid it like plague.

Love Jack

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

If hes into bodybuilding then sure extra advantageous protein is needed to stimulate muscle boost, have faith it or not im 200lb and im getting 300grams of protein common, without protein your muscle wont strengthen..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They certainly need more protein than a couch potato. They need extra protein for building muscle and muscle maintenance.

• 1 decade ago

For the muscles to develop you need at least 1.3g protein/kg bodyweight! Also you need carbs for energy!

• 1 decade ago

yes its a must otherwise it may result to injury during weightlifting

• 1 decade ago

yes, its how the muscle can gain extra energy to keep working, getting bigger and been able to work better,

go to gnc or someplace like taht they will help u

• S K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.