Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

My husband who is 42 years sees spots?

My husband who is 42 years old says that he sometimes sees spots and tunnel vision....he claims when he eats a spoon full of sugar, it goes away, I've checked on the web for symptoms of diabetes and he doesn't seem to have any of the symptoms, what could cause him to see spots and such?

• Mubz
    Favorite Answer

Go to a Opthamologist immediately! It's definitely not normal or healthy.

Could be something to do with the pituitary, but there is no point speculating, go to a profesional as soon as possible!

First of all, the spots may be a side effect of a migraine headache. And like you said, tunnel vision. In my case, this is what I got instead of the pain (Thank God!) Or there may be "floaters" in his eyes that are harmless also, but sometimes make you feel like there are tiny flies in front of your eyes. (Been there, done that.) You mention about taking the sugar to stop it. I used to have that condition also. And I'd go home and make chocolate chip cookie dough and eat that, and it would go away. I GUESS that mine was low blood sugar at the time, and I didn't get diabetes, luckily. I would have him check with his doctor sometime soon to put any worry to rest. Good Luck!

Your husband needs to call his doctor. The spots can be anything from harmless "floaters", to an indicator of high blood pressure, eye problems, or other medical conditions that need attention. Eating a spoon full of sugar in case it is diabetes is an ok idea, but if it is caused by low blood sugar, that needs managed medically as well. (usually low blood sugar has other symptons such as fatigue, confusion, sweating, tremors). I would strongly suggest he get in touch with his doctor, it could be nothing at all, but better safe than sorry!!

Source(s): diabetic with high blood pressure.

Absolutely get him to a doctor for a physical check up. He could be suffering from low sugar,high blood pressure, or the on set of diabetes. Also, get him to see an eye doctor...I'm sure you love your husband, and even if its nothing, it never hurts at his age to get a routine check up. I would rather be safe than sorry.

The "spots" could easily be what are called "floaters". He is about the right age for them to occur. They can drive a person "nuts".

The "tunnel vision" thing sounds much more serious. It could possibly be the beginnings of macular degeneration. He needs to see an opthamologist....not an optometrist...an opthamologist.

Floaters are normal at his age, however it is worrisome that he gets tunnel vision along with this. Please contact an optometrist for an exam and I would also have your family doctor do a hbA1C glucose blood test to check for diabetes. Diabetes can manifest as vision changes.

Source(s): RN

He could have diabetes, low sugar, b/p might be up or down, or he might have something going on with his eyes that is serious.You need to get him to the Dr a/s/a/p

It could be nothing serious. I see little bits of something from time to time. But it may be the start of something serious. Best advice, see an eye specialist and get this referal from your family doctor.

Go see a doctor. Even if its not diabetes it could be other cardiovascular problems. Take care of it asap.

He should get his eyes checked out. It could be dangerous and he could possibly lose his sight at some point in his life. It is nothing to mess with.