emily45 asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

is there such thing as a memory pill to erase memories?

if there ever was a memory pill to erase bad memories would you take it?

Favorite Answer

We use medications in anesthesia to cause amnesia, but they won't erase memories that are already there (just keep you from forming new memories while the drug is in your system)

No, I wouldn't take that pill. We learn from our mistakes, and even if that is painful, we need the lessons.

Source(s): I'm a doctor.

Every time I read something like this I am reminded of the song from the 70's, by the Door's, it was called, White Rabbit, and the line I remember is "some pill's make you larger, some pill's make you small, but the pill's that mother gives you don't do anything at all". My question about this eraser pill, would be how does it discern the bad memories from the good? My thinking is stay with what we know works, to whit a therapist.

No, if you erased all bad memories, you'd also be losing a part of yourself. The experiences we have shape our lives and personalities.. And if your have no memory of things that went wrong you can't benefit from the lessons learned. So you will likely make the same mistakes again and possibly end up worse off than before. Bad memories are just as important as good memories in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think that there's such thing, but erasing bad memories won't do any good because you probably would also forget what you learnt from unpleasent experiences and keep making the same mistakes and pads that lead you to it. At the end it will be more harmful and traumatic than helpful because you'll end up living similar bad stuff.

~I don't think there is such a pill. You could get electric shock treatment and have memory loss there. (I haven't)

The medications I do take are causing short term memory loss. So I guess my answer is no, since I'm already losing my memory.. lol~

NO for the simple reason that the bad things that have happened to me have programmed me to be extra cautious in certain situations If a pill took away the memories of what my family has done to me I wouldnt be cautious around them. my memories keep me safe now I have had extensive therapy dealing with those memories and they are not as triggering as they used to be but I still have my "creep detector" in place due to my past

Source(s): my life

No, because bad memories or bad experiences form who you are. When you suffer you learn how to survive, and then the next time you face a crisis it will be easier for you to deal with it.

No & No...Memories are life's lessons...Don't want to mess with what God has given us!

Only in the movies.

NO

I'LL WAIT FOR ALZHEIMER'S