nellymd asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Is there a fish I can place in my tank to eat guppies?

My son have guppies. They are multiplying and starting to over crowd the tank. I don't want to flush them. I'd rather have something that will eat them. Also need something to help keep the tank clean. I'm cleaning it every week.

Favorite Answer

Get A Oscar they will eat every Kind of small fish that you have in that Tank

Source(s): they even eat Ground Beef.

Mhhh I know that many types of fish eat guppies, but I just want to tell you that from my experience, it wasn't very good to have fishes eating my guppies. I had a bunch of guppies in my tank with another fish, and I didn't want the fish to eat the guppies but they did anyways. After a while, I had little pieces of guppies everywhere, some half dead, some still alive, and I think the dead guppies gave a bad odor and it stinks pretty bad. And I don't know how old your son is but I'm not sure if he would enjoy dead parts of guppies in your tank, because after they are dead, the body parts kind of start rotting away and...well it just doesn't look very nice. I'm not exactly sure since I have not actually studied them, but I think after some fish are dead, they can start spreading diseases to other fish that eat them unless you take them out of the tank right away. And I think if you have that many guppies that you want other fish to eat it, then you'll be doing a lot of cleaning (taking out dead guppies out of the tank) . So maybe your son could ask his friends if they want any guppies or you could ask your friends? I know my question didn't answer your question at all and I am sorry about that, and you might even find that guppy eating fish actually helped you but I just wanted to tell you what I experienced just so you know. :)

Okay you guys, he doesn't want his ADULT guppies eaten, he wants to control the fry population.

Guppies WILL eat their own fry, so you could cut back on how much you feed them to encourage this behavior.

Cuytting back on feeding will also help to keep the tank clean.

Another thing you could do is simply go with an all male guppy tank.

don't be evil take them to a pet shop also you need to buy a bigger tank and a better pump this will help with cleaning issues i have a cat fish who eats all the algae in the tank which helps to keep it clean i know what you mean though i was sick of cleaning it out.

What size is the tank? Depending on what size it is, you have a lot of different options.

For your algae problem, I would suggest apple snails. Do not get a pleco unless it is a small variety such as a clown pleco.

For eating fry, fish like dwarf gouramis (if you have a 10g+ tank), or something like a kribensis (if your tank is 15g+) would work. Just don't get two kribensis, as they will breed just as much as the guppies.

Take them to a pet shop or advertise them for free. Putting a bigger fish in to eat them is cruel. What happens when the fish has eaten all the guppies, and you get bored with it, will you put a bigger fish in to eat the big one?

My brothers Oscar makes short work of any small fish. Also, those sucker fish whatever they are called aswell as a filter will clean the tank, you still need to clean it just less often.

Aww, it would be sad to have another fish eat the little boogers! But, if you must, I would suggest one of those Big Sucker things...I think thats what ate my froggies....but I really wish you would take them to the pet store. Or give them to friends and family that would want them.

my hubby feeds the extra guppies to my jack dempsey...also fun to watch!!i had 2 guppies to start now i have about 80...dempseys also like cheese hamburger spaghetti..etc:)gl

• tz

don't kill them. its not there fault they reproduce. just go to the pet shop and ask if they want free guppies. maybe ask different neighbors if they want small fish and distrubute them throughout the neighborhood. please try not to kill the fish.