Why is it that my cat sucks on stuff?

My cat is sucking on cloths,blanket,pillows,and towls and hes a grown cat

Favorite Answer

Hi there...some medical community professionals speculate it cats who suck, chew, lick unusual items may due in part either to being weaned too early and/or that is commonly seen among asian breed of cats. The condition is called PICA. Here's more on PICA by UC Davis College of Veterinary Medicine:

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/home/beh/feline_behavi...

Pica: The Un-finicky Feline

Chewing or eating cords, fabric, houseplants, etc.

What is Pica?

Pica is the act of eating non-food items. In less serious cases, cats may chew or suck on objects, but not actually swallow them. Common targets include yarn or string, fabric, wool, phone or electric cords, and plants. Any object may be a potential target, however.

Why is Pica Dangerous?

Other than its destructive potential, pica can be extremely hazardous to your cat's health if non-food items are consumed. Ingested fabric, string, or other materials can lodge in your cat's stomach or intestine. The blockage prevents the passage of food and may cut off the blood supply to these organs. Both are life-threatening conditions. Cat's that chew on power cords may be electrocuted. Additionally, many common houseplants are toxic to cats; chewing or eating these plants can cause a wide range of symptoms from drooling to death. If your cat has a history of ingesting non-food items and becomes lethargic, vomits, or displays other concerning behavior, take them to your veterinarian immediately.

Why Does My Cat Eat/Chew on Non-food Items?

No one knows exactly why some cats exhibit pica behavior. Because pica has been associated with a variety of diseases including feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus, a veterinarian should examine any cat with pica. A genetic component is also suspected since wool or fabric sucking/chewing is more commonly found in Oriental breeds such as Siamese cats. Although it is normal for cats to eat small amounts of grass, consumption of large amounts of plant material may be an indication of a dietary deficiency or illness. Once medical causes are ruled out, behavioral reasons for pica can include boredom, attention-seeking, attractive odors, hunger, and learned behavior.

..please consider visiting the website for further details

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats Friend who is a veterinarian Owned by two PICA cats

Your cat is nursing on the object - it is a very pleasure-giving action for your cat -- you may see her/him also use her feet and push against it (kneading). This is how a cat would have used feet to help get milk from the mother's milk ducts when a kitten. Many cats will do this into adulthood -- they will do it when they need comfort or when they are already happy. We have one that even nurses on his tail. Most however will do this on blankets. Some say that the kittens were weaned to early and developed this habit like a child will suck a thumb to compensate. However, I have seen it in cats that stayed with their mothers a long time. Hope this helps. It is normal cat behavior for many cats. Think of your cat as if he or she is a thumb sucker - gotta have some kind of comfort habit!

Source(s): Here is a source for the same or similar behavior explanation www.planeturine.com/pettips/dsp_catKneading.cfm

It is most likely a comfort thing. I don't think it has anything to do with when it leaves the mom though. I have a 12 year old female cat that was with momma cat until momma died about 3 years after baby was born. My cat still does the sucking and kneading thing with my old baby blanket. It has the scent of me and is comforting to her. She knows she is my baby and she thinks I'm her momma.

Vinnie G is right. When kitties are taken away from Mom before they are fully weaned, they'll do it. It's a comfort thing mostly. I adopted a 3 week old from a shelter and she still does it at 1 1/2 years old. It's gross when they slobber but if makes kitty happy, let her go with it! Good luck!

He probably got taken away from his mom before he was weaned. Does he also push back and forth on the object he's sucking on with his paws? If so, that's probably what happened.

• Erika

Determines the type you define "vampire" Theird are in certainty countless illnesses and psychological ailments that could make somebody resemble a vampire in how they seem and act. one in each and every of them is a disease that in the event that they drink blood it facilitates the indicators get a splash greater effectual for a whilst even nonetheless it doesnt cause them to crave it. some everybody is allergic to photograph voltaic and smash out in hives throughout. some human beings have scizophrenia and could think of they seem to be a vampire and kill human beings. There are additionally people who call themselves vampires and stay that lifelike an decision way of way of existence of like a faith in simple terms approximately yet no longer incredibly. They greater often than not are in Louisiana i think of. thers additionally people who're reported to be actual vampires yet instead of sucking blood they suck out your power.they are referred to as psychic vampires. you ought to have self assurance in paranormal issues to have self assurance this one. This one would be difficult to comprehend even nonetheless this is accessible for vampires in finished finished type exist in yet another length created by employing the concepts via quantum physics. ------- this is beneficial to work out a doctor in case you commence feeling unusual nonetheless. I dont think of you have any of those illnesses yet you're in no longer the main suitable condition and which you will assume your a vampire im guessing your dealing with distinctive rigidity actual ow and in simple terms wishfully finding for a psychological get away.

I can't remember why but my friends cat was doing that and was starting to freak me out!