What's BEST...disable vs uninstall Norton Internet Security while downloading(and using) Avast Free Antivirus?

I'd like to try the free Antivirus by Avast mainly because I've read so many good reviews about it. I have Norton Internet Security installed currently in my PC. I've read that 2 antivirus programs are bound to conflict w/ each other. Should I uninstall completely my Norton or can I just temporarily disable it while I download the free Avast?

Favorite Answer

DUDE!

Uninstall that POS!

I have been a fan of Norton/Symantec since 1996. I followed blindly until 2004 when I finally had enough of the junk and headaches that followed. I used everything from the single stand alone version all the way up to the Enterprise Edition. Since 1999, not much has changed with their service. They added some bells and whistles, yet it does not keep up with what is happening. And they continue to charge more and more. I haven't figured that out yet.

Avast is a great product at a great price (FREE) for home use.

TAKE IT ALL OFF!

Tom

Source(s): MCSE 2003, CNE 5 and 6, LPI 1, CCNP/CCDP/CCDA/CCNA, CCA, Dell Certified Engineer and overall nice guy. If you need more help you can email me (But I expect an "thumbs up!" :) )

2

Source(s): #1 Antivirus For PC : http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?qZHS
  • ROD S

I have Norton Internet Security bundled with my BT Yahoo broadband package, and I also have the free A-squared anti-virus programme (even had AVG until recently). I've had no problems updating and running either programme, though I wouldn't run both at the same time - slows computer down to a crawl while scanning. So try it and see. Or, rather than uninstalling, disable Norton while trying Avast.

Remember to set a restore point before you do any alterations.

As My Brainhurt has warned: clean out any quarantined nasties first.

I did this for a friend and Norton released all it's stored viruses, but a quick system restore and disabled Norton, downloaded Avast (I've used it on my P.C. for four years with no problems) ran Avast uninstalled Norton and Avast neatly cleaned up the mess.

Yes for question #1. For #2, you should use a security program that has real time protection. I would venture a guess that your Avast free software doesn't have this feature. The security protection programs that don't have real time protection just sit on your computer and aren't actively blocking out malicious software. I would stick with the Norton product. Also, the firewall that comes with Windows computer is sufficient for most people. There is no need to spend extra money on a program that already comes with your computer.

The solution is easy! Avast and Norton do not play nice together!

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool from the Norton / Symantic website.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf...

• If you still have the disk (norton)then go to symantic website for the removal tool then try avast if you decide that you do not like it then uninstall and reinstall norton,my prefefance would be to stay with norton

ok if ur testing the new antivirus disable will be ok but not best option ideally u need to uninstall it and yeah both of them will fight and ur pc will be sooooo slow its not advisable ok in short

uninstall cos u cant get worse than norton

all the best for 2007

• run norton till you download avast.then disconnect from net disable or uninstall norton,iwould uninstallmyself.then install avastonce installed and running reconnect to net and up date.i use avast my syself and find it better than norton.dont try to run both as they will conflict with each other.

disable it while you use avg. cant run two anti virus at same time but can run more than one spywar at same time . dont shut down your norton till after you download avg. other wise you will be on the net wide open.after you have it saved to your pc then can shut norton down. also i recomend this free tool http://spywareterminator.com it plays well with all anti virus. good luck.