What would be the proper etiquette here?

I went to a diner to have lunch with a few friends the other day. I went to sit down in the booth, but because I'm pregnant and carrying quite large, I could not fit into the booth! The diner was crowded and all of the regular tables were taken - only the booths were left. How was I supposed to deal with this situation?

- Lucy

Favorite Answer

Unless the diner would allow you to sit in a chair at the end of the booth (which is sometimes against fire regulations), you'd have to wait for a table to be free. You can't ask that someone at a table to pick up their dinner and move - although if a person at a table saw your dilemma, they could volunteer to take the booth instead.

First congratulations!

I would have asked the waitress if I could have a chair at the end of the table. In lieu of that all the skinny people sit on one side of the booth and move the booth to accomondate you.

If moving the booth is impossible, you should sit on the outside, sideways.

Now that you know how crowded this place is, perhaps next time you might want to call ahead and explain your situation and reserve a table.

Two things 'could' of been done. First, if the table was move able, move it closer to the bench seat across from where you would set. The second thing would be to put a chair at the end of the booth table. Of course if we lived in a truly etiquette world, someone would of given up their table in exchange for the booth. But I think that only happens in movies, and I am seeing less acts of chivalry these days in the movie world.

The host should be alerted and they would make the arrangements to have someone at a table switch to the booth or you'd have to wait to a table. The other option would be for them to offer you a chair to place at the end of the booth. Some restaurants won't do that thought because it's a hazard in case of a fire.

• SDTerp

Sometimes, assuming there is enough room to allow others to pass, you can ask to add a chair to the end of the booth which will allow you to sit at the same table but move in or out as you need to accommodate the imminent addition to your family. :)

Look around for an available chair and ask the person at the table if it is taken. If not, ask if you may use it, then pull it over (or have someone else pull it over for you) and place it at the end of the booth. Ta da!!!

pull up a chair at the end of the booth.

• ramman

I would have asked for a table at the time I came in.

No, no longer the place I come from - Scotland - its no longer because of the fact we are advise - that's a status humorous tale, yet flower transport men here are no longer between the acknowledged "trades" to tip - like - posties at Christmas, and waitresses and so forth. yet once you sense beneficiant whilst your eye-catching vegetation arrive, no longer something to quit you - i'd in all risk do it myself.

perhaps you could ask a waiter or waitress to find a chair for you to use. place the chair in the aisle, at the end of the booth.

good luck with your pregnancy"