Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to use a chuck roast in place of a prime rib roast, and will it turn out ok?

I am appaled by the cost of beef these days and would like the prime rib for New Years, but will try to use a boneless chuck roast thinking of rolling and tying. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You and Happy New Year everyone.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Rasta
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To me there is no comparison...

Happy New Year to you too..

• Login to reply the answers
  • lonon
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Prime Chuck Roast

• 1 decade ago

You can use a chuck roast if you want to, but no it will not be prime rib by any means. It should still be a decent roast if cooked properly. Prime rib is a better cut and more tender than chuck, which explains why it is indeed more costly.You can put the chuck roast in the crockpot with beef stock and veggies, or you can even use a cooking/roasting bag by McCormick's and it will turn out even better. I too agree with you TOTALLY on the price of beef nowadays, it's ridiculous! I usually buy rib roasts when they are on sale for $4.99 a pound.....still not exactly cheap, but the price of it is usually $8.99 and up when it's not on sale... :(

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably not "in place of".

"Instead of" would be accurate," as it's kinda a different animal so to speak.

Preparing chuck as you would prime rib, you'd have a rather silent gathering, as your guests will spend most of the evening chewing.

However, chuck makes an excellent roast -- slow-cooked, over a long period, or broiled.

It can be pretty succulent.

Have some nice sides, careful presentation, and you've got a great meal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The difference is like night and day. Prime Rib is a wonderful tender cut of beef, Chuck is tough, and needs a lot of help.

• 1 decade ago

Sure you can roast a chuck but it won't come out anywhere remotely close to prime rib.

If are on a budget and still want to serve beef, don't roast the chuck. Braise or stew the whole chunk of meat and carve it after cooking.

Otherwise, consider ham or other cheaper cuts of meat.

• 1 decade ago

no.....you have to use the moist heat method of cooking the chuck roast...the prime rib is cooked using the dry heat method....you are probably looking to save money ....may i suggest that you buy a nice sirloin tip roast and cook it by the dry heat method...it will not be the same as the prime rib but for price it will be better than the chuck roast.....i mainly use the chuck for stew meat and pot roast where it is cooked for longer periods of time in liquid......you could also use a round roast...........but remember you are not going to get the same results....

• 1 decade ago

the chuck is the shoulder and the prime rib is from the back, the chuck will be tougher so you should put lots of vegetables, like onions green peppers and celery, the water from the vegetables will keep it moist as you should probably cook it longer to make it tender.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no it will not work, a chuck roast does not have as much fat so it will be very dry and tough.

• 4 years ago

how long do I cook a 5lb roast

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.