finale00 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

can a big dog and a little dog mate? if so, i need to prevent it.?

Favorite Answer

Yes...so keep them away from all ladders and step stools while your female is in heat ;-)

Actually depending on which is which..if the female is the larger dog..she will lay down..if visa versa...the male will probably hurt the female depending on their size.

Yes it is entirely possible no matter which one is the big dog and which one is the small dog. The best way to prevent an accidental mating (which could result in death if the small dog is the female and the big dog is male) is to get the male neutered and the female spayed. They will both be much healthier & happier and live longer.

Source(s): vet tech for 34 years, extensive experience with canine reproduction & breeding

Yes. If the male is a lot larger than the female and she gets pregnant, she could have difficulties giving birth to the puppies and it's possible you could loose her. If the male is the small breed and the female is the larger one, it is still possible, and could make for some pretty funny moment when he's trying to mate her.

Have the male neutered and female spayed and you won't have to worry about this.

For starters, it depends upon the breeds of dogs. I have a regular size brown sable chihuahua (female) and a minature fawn colored male chihuahua and they had the cutest puppies and small chihuahuas you could have. To the best of my knowledge and experience, the female has to be the bigger breed or you risk the life of the female. Makes sense though. The smallest puppy weighs about 8 oz @ 11 weeks old! And so loveable and a cream color, almost white. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah. We had a big female dog, she laid down for a basset hound to mate her. Now if the male is the big dog, he could get hung up and hurt her, that would be a trip to the vet. My advice fix both dogs.

for many puppy dogs vendors having their b*tch spayed or dogs castrated as quickly because it has achieved its psychological & skeletal progression is a robust thought because it truly is going to sidestep unplanned litters, avert a b*tch coming up pyometra & influence hormone pushed habit simply by fact the testosterone point in a dogs reduces over the years. What I do take project with is the certainty that some human beings attempt to ram their opinion that spay/castrate is the only to blame direction of action down the throats of people who're able to possessing intact dogs & decide on the liberty to confirm what's interior the suited pastime of their very own dogs or b*tch. I at the instant very own a 4-twelve months-old intact dogs that has by no skill sired a muddle, would not roam or show unacceptable habit simply by fact he grow to be obedience knowledgeable from a domestic dog, and has a young & beneficial character. After gaining knowledge of the wellness advantages & risks of castration, I evaluated the counsel & deduced from the data that the wellness advantages for a dogs weren't as compelling as those for a b*tch, so desperate to go away him intact. I make the call on what takes place to my dogs & i do no longer anticipate to have a say, except asked in what human beings legally do to their dogs.

A large and small dog can mate. I would get them fixed especially if the large dog is the male,he can hurt your little dog in the mating process.(the lock)

• CC

Yes they can! I actually saw a picture on petfinder.com of a dog half chihuahua, and half greyhound! The poor dog had a chihuahua body and head, on greyhound legs. It would be hard to believe if I hadn't seen it myself!

Keep the dogs separate, or they need to be spayed / neutered. It only takes a minutes for them....

Depends on who the male is. A big male cannot mate with a small female but the opposite is possible. NEUTER HIM!

Yes, and I know it for a fact. I have seen a female Lab, lay down for a mini male Poodle and puppies were born from that match.