Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

Do you need social sercuity card to file your taxes.?

• skip
    Favorite Answer

As a rule, no, but you do need to know you number. If you go to a paid preparer and wish to claim Earned Income Tax Credit, they will probably ask for your card and those of your children. A Paid Preparer (such as H & R Block or a CPA) must complete form 8867 if EITC is to be claimed. It does not specifically state that the preparer must see a SSC but if one of the questions is going to be answered satisfactorily, they will have to see it. See the link below to see what us Paid Preparers have to do!

You do not need a Social Security card to FILE taxes but you do need a Social Security card to do anything that would require you to file taxes (i.e. get a job, buy or rent a house, have investments, inherit money, etc.) So in a sense, yes you do need a SS# to file taxes...I believe it is the first question they ask you on your tax form.

If you do not have a SS#, you do not exist in the eyes of the IRS. But if you earn money without a SS#, the IRS will find out eventually.

Good Luck

You'll need a social security number.

If you go to a VITA site for volunteer tax preparation, they'll want a social security card.

I've never been asked for the CARD just the NUMBER. I go to H & R Block. every year.

Know but you do need a valid #. Unless they audit you, you should have no need for proof of Identification, until you go to the bank CHA-CHING!

You don't need the card itself, just the number.

You don't need the card, but you do need your number.

No, I haven't seen my card in thirty years.

No, but you must know your SSN.

No