buddytesta asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

why does my 8wk old puppy have constant diahrea?

puppy tested negative for parvo . did have stomach bacteria, vet gave metronidazole for 9 days. has appetite, but still has diahrea. have given her gatorade, pedialyte, rice, any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. can you give puppy "Activa? (new yogart for people with stomach problems?)

Favorite Answer

no no no dairy or milk or anything rich strictly puppy food only or pronutro and warm water.... activia will make it worse take him to a vet and ask them to give you imodium or a tablet to stop it dont give him anything besides its food it can help to give him plain boiled chicken cut into small small shredded peices it stabelises the stomach by stiffening the stool...

Source(s): Dr R Tirred specialist vetenarian

I'd give the vet a call. I am assuming that the puppy had a worm check. Worms can cause all kinds of intestinal problems. Yogurt shoudl be fine, especially if it has live active cultures. Stay away from milk. Chicken and rice are easy on the stomach. Your vet should be able to give you the best advice. This poor baby needs to get better soon.

Did the vet do a complete fecal exam? I would assume so. Has the puppy also been dewormed with an anti-strongid like Panacur? You can give her plain yogurt or cottage cheese to help replenish some of the normal bacteria to the gut. Also make sure she isn't getting into anything at home that might give her diarrhea- including people food!

Source(s): my wife the Licenced Vet. Tech...she sees this stuff everyday...trust her

Gatorade and pedialyte increase this sad and unpleasant symptom! I would not suggest any dairy! It will make it worse like the gatorade! get her on a constant diet of puppy food. Call your vet and tell him what's still going on! And what you've given her! Still very young and her bodies still catching up with the new life, it could be puppy stress! I would just call the vet and say the symptoms then say "what should I look for, or do you have a suggestion"

You could try a little Pepto, but other than that, I would recommend another trip to the Vet. Something is wrong. Puppies don't react well to people food most of the time.

• ?

if ur changing his dog food that can give a dog diahrea about treating it u need to ask a vet about that

1 ONLY FEED HIM PUPPY FOOD (dry)

2 STOP FEEDING HIM PEOPLE FOOD ITS NOT GOOD FOR ANY DOG

3 WHEN YOU DEICED ON A DOG FOOD STICK TO IT DON'T CHANGE OR SWITCH UP KEEP CONSTANT

4 AND MOST IMPORTANT DON'T FEED HIM GATORADE OR PEDIALITE IT WILL CAUSE DIARRHEA

ACTIVA IS FOR WOMEN NOT DOGS

G

dogs can have yoghurt and it might help but i doubt that activa will help anymore than regular yoghurt. has she been tests for worms?

when my yorkie had bad diahrea i gave him natural live yogurt and it cleared up,but it must be live yogurt

Source(s): nurse