mootle asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How do I stop my rabbit from eating the bedding? (I can't feed him anymore food, he's already very fat)

He looks for things to eat all the time. Never stops. How can I prevent him from eating his bedding without taking it away or feeding him more food? He's already ate enough.

Favorite Answer

You should get the Grannicks Bitter Apple spray it is for pets. It tastes bitter and smells like windex but does them no harm it tastes bitter so it makes it harder for them to chew their fur or furniture. You can buy it a Pets Mart. It works well.

I would see your local vet about this and try excercising him (with a small leash or something). Maybe instead of using actual bedding, use something that is hard and cannot be chewed, but is still soft... I don't have any ideas about this, but I think seeing your vet will work. Maybe stop putting in bedding for awhile and your rabbit may learn it isn't food, and later while he is hungry again (3 small meals a day), feed him some healthier vegetables that can keep him full? Bedding will just make him hungrier.

Source(s): Experience with rabbits.

I am guessing that you have some type of hay for the bedding. You could switch to another type; I recommend Carefresh. That way, your rabbit will most likely not eat it.

As for him being overweight, it would be good to give him more exercise. You could play with him more, get him a rabbit leash, or, if you keep him inside, make his area to live in bigger.

If all this fails, you can always call your vet and ask for a suggestion.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Source(s): I have a rabbit.

You can't not feed him. You just need to control the amount of food you feed, get him used to eating smaller amounts. You probably should take away the bedding for a while, until he gets used to the smaller amounts of food.

Try using a good quality hay for his bedding. Rabbits are grazers, they nibble most of the day and really it's best for their gut if they do. If he's overweight cut down on pellets and treats and bulk up on timothy or oaten hay. Grass or dandelions from the garden are good too as well as apple branches and things like rose cutting. Just make sure they're not sprayed with chemical.

You could try using a different kind of bedding like a towel or something that you can change or wash and he won't eat it, but is still soft. Just give your rabbit the food that is essential, cut down on all the treats.

Source(s): experience with rabbits

Most herbivore do eat all the time. They have nothing better to do.

Just observe the cows and sheep... they eat the whole day long.

If you think your rabbit is getting fat... don't feed him as much as you usually do. But rabbits... like cows and sheep are supposed to get fat. Getting fat on grass is not as bad as getting fat on junk food.

I suggest seeing the vet!! Try not putting litter in his cage for a while and just give him one meal in the morning and one at night. Try feeding him more fuits and veggies along with small amounts of food. Also be sure to also make sure you have enough time to spend with him (excersicing)!!

Source(s): 3 bunnies

get him the diet rabbit food (i dont know if there is such a thing but thats what i do for my cat and dog because theyre really fat but they keep eating shoes and other things)

• CF_

what on earth are you using for bedding?

Pine shavings are the best (never use cedar)

if hes fat he needs more time out of his cage playing