miamia asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to train a 5 month old puppy for morning routine?

I have a 51/2 month burnese mountain dog. At five oclock sharp, she will start barking. I get up to let her out and have to spend the next 60 to 90 minutes with her. She is fed, played with and poops. Is there a way to have her wake up later like by 530 - 6am? How can i streamline everything so I have to spend less time , ideally 30 minutes to 45 minutes each morning?

Favorite Answer

It is about the same for any animal that's getting up too early.

Keep her in a dark room so that the light doesn't wake her.

Play with her and take her out for potty at late as night as you are awake, so that she doesn't have to go pee early. Keep her awake all night until you go to bed.

Take up her water and food by 8PM so that she won't have to go so early.

Don't get up with her no matter what she does until you are ready to get up. Even if you just lay there in bed and listen to her bark, as long as the neighbors can sleep through it. Then at the time that you want to be with her. Go get her at that same time every morning. She will get used to this as the new routine and stop doing what doesn't work.

Leave toys with her at bedtime so that she can busy herself with them until you get up.

When you are sure that she isn't needing really badly to pee or potty you will be able to leave her there until you are ready to get her.

My two puppies were nocturnal and wanted to get up and out at all hours of the night until I continually ignored them but took them out before bedtime and restricted food or water to be sure that they didn't need to go.

Source(s): personal experience of my dogs running my life like a nightmare, until I got firm.
  • Snoopy

I would recommend crating the puppy. If she's not all ready in a crate, it may take a few days to get her used to it. After she is used to the crate, push the time that you let her out by about 5 minutes every couple of days. She's still young, and she'll need to train her bladder to handle longer times. Also, limiting water intake later in the evenings may help. It's a slow process, but if you give her adequate time to adjust, she'll move to your schedule. For a 30 minute adjustment, you probably need to give her 2-3 weeks. Once she gets up at the time you want, take her out immediately to do her business. After she's done that, then she can have play time and breakfast.

Good Luck.

Okay, first of all, it's a good thing that she's waking you up if she has to go out to do her business. Your mistake was staying up and feeding her and playing with her then at that time.

I have a 4 1/2 month old Husky/Collie mix, he will wake me up anywhere between 3 and 5:30am, which my alarm goes off at 5:30. I get up take him out to do his business, we come back in and if it's still early I go right back to bed. He doesn't bother me and knows when I do get up that I feed him and our 3 cats.

It will probably take her some time to get used to a change so be patient. Remember you are the master and the dog seems to have the control right now. Just be firm in saying no when you don't want her doing something, she will get the idea. When she sees that you are still giving her attention she will be okay.

Your puppy is still very young. You must be consistent. I know this kinda sucks, but ignore the barks! I know you won't really be ignoring them, but don't let her know you hear her. Puppies at that age are like babies, they do have to go! But, if she's not in a crate, get her one that is just her size or a large one for adulthood with a divider. They won't go where they sleep or lay or stand (unless emergency!) Be consistent with her! Ignore her for a week, and take her out when you actually get up, and gradually, she'll learn!

Besides the crate training, which I recommend, I also recommend keeping the pup in a darkened room. For some reason this seems to help. When they see day light, it means its time to go out.

Might be a trick you can try.

I'm not quite sure if this would work but I guess it's worth a shot: Try changing her wind down time at night. Keep her up and do some vigorous exercise play with her a little later at night.

okay....lock the dog in a crate. When she barks point at her and say NO!...Teach her to stay.....be stern.

make her wait till then after while she will get use to the routine but give it time.

• ?

crate training go to this website

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html