Does anyone have advice about a starting problem with a 2003 Ford Taurus SES?

When I turn the ignition key there is a "whining noise". I then rock the gear shift while it is in Park, and then it will start. If anyone has experienced this, or has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Favorite Answer

You have a bad starter. The solenoid is not engaging the starter.

Actually it sounds like maybe you have a faulty bendex. This would still require repair or replacement of the starter to correct. My guess is the rocking of the gear shift is not related. Eventually it could get worse and just won't start at all some time. good luck

no longer starter, no longer timing belt. i might get the alternator examined yet first i might eliminate the battery terminals, get a battery brush at vehicle save, clean the terminals and posts until they shine. maximum battery connections are not getting wiped clean whilst battery put in.

FORD DEALER RECALLED THIS PROBLEM. ITS IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM. ASK THE DEALER THEY KNOW ABOUT IT.