Contacts wearers?

This question is to people who wear contacts. When you wake up in the morning are your eyes goopy and crusty?I have this problem. I'm not sure if this is because I wear contacts or if I have an eye infection or allergies.

• kizkat
    Favorite Answer

Contacts should not make your eyes goopy....If you are having redness and discharge you could be suffering from allergies or an infection etc. See your doctor!

Do you wear Night & Days? I wore the Night & Day 30 day contacts, that you would switch every thirty days, but not take them out when you went to sleep. My eyes were really crusty then.

I used to wear Acuvue 2 and Surevue, and they weren't nearly as bad. I think your eyes are compensating for the dryness. If I were you, I'd ask your optician about it - see if you can get into something that's more breathable.

In any case, I got tired of contacts. I'm getting Lasik'd in three days. I would recommend the Night & Day contacts, but if you do that, make sure you switch them out every 30 days or less. They start getting really irritable after three weeks. Outside of that, it was almost like you never bothered with them - like you weren't really wearing contacts at all.

My two cents, best of luck on a non-goopy 2007.

I have been sleeping in contact lenses for over 30 years. Never had the problem which you are asking about. It would not be good to sleep in lenses whether or not they are the cause of this problem, because your lenses will become infected from the goop and crust.

Some peoples eyes naturally tear up as they sleep at night - this may be causing your problem or you may have an allergy, or you may just be one of those wearers whose eyes cannot handle sleeping in contacts.

Sleeping in contacts will cut off oxygen to your eyeball, so it is not good to sleep in them no matter what the manufacture says.

It does not sound like an eye infection to me, but you still might want to check with your eye doctor to be sure. Usually an infection has other symptoms as well.

Source(s): Life Experience. Sleeping in hard contacts before soft contacts were invented.

Sounds like an infection to me. I wear contacts for 8 years now and the only time I woke up with crusty eyes was when I got "pink eye". (infection)

I got told i shouldn't wear my contacts when i sleep cos you get Toxic Red Eye or something. Don't know what the doc was on about, but my contacts are off whenever i'm about to fall asleep. Irritating, but i don't intend to get Toxic Funk Eye. Or whatever.

I used to wear them, and yes, my eyes were always goopy, sometimes painful, and very often too dry. But girl, I looked GOOD. Get some artificial tears and use them religiously.

You probably have just started to use your contacts. That might be the problem. Or you probably don't keep your contact lens case very clean. Make sure that you put new solution in your "clean" lens case. And don't wear your lenses for a very long time.

If you wear your contacts overnight, yes, that is the cause. Even extended wear contacts should be removed nightly if you have the opportunity.

• No. I don't wake up with crusty eyes. Unless I have sore eyes (acute conjunctivitis).

Never had that problem. I hope you don't sleep with them in cause that could be the cause.