Kevin K asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do cats prefer certain birds because they know their taste or just because they're easy to catch?

Favorite Answer

No, they don't only chase the birds that they think will taste the best.

The just chase them because that's what cats do, they chase birds, mice, bugs, butterflies basically anything that moves.

Actually I think it is pretty hard for a cat to catch a bird unless someone has set up a bird feeder that is attracting the cats and they can ambush them.

My cats are confined to my garden by cat fence-in and the birds don't come there much at all. Strangely the birds seem to know when all the cats are inside and then they will come down to the ground for seeds.

Cats can be particularly devastating to ground nesting birds. I think it is much easier for them to get mice or rats. Taste doesn't have anything to do with it.

I've never personally tested this theory but I presume they all taste like Chicken! It would have to be the easiest to catch..the survival of the fittest..the weak get eaten. So a breed of bird that is slower than others..maybe hangs on the ground more than others would get caught first...I've never seen a cat catch a hummingbird. Or...I could be wrong and hummingbirds just taste like hummingbirds instead of chicken..and cat's don't like them. Here in Florida, although they catch birds...cats really do love to catch lizards...they're fast and challenging..but they stay on surfaces and don't fly! I'm guessing they taste like Alligator which I hear...taste like chicken! So with all of that..I'd say a cat's favorite bird is....Chicken!

Birds are the hardest thing for a cat to catch.

So I would think that they would go after the easy catch.

Cats will catch any bird they can get ahold of. Ours is bad for that, and it doesn't matter to him what kind of bird it is....as long as he can get close to it (no, I don't like him catching birds, and I even got one away from him once before he could hurt it, but cats catch birds....it's what they do....perfectly normal behavior for a cat).

YES

CROWS